Tags:
  1. Atrophied_Silence

Atrophied_Silence Active Member

Gas Station Lay Out

Discussion in 'Research' started by Atrophied_Silence, Apr 15, 2018.

Potentially a silly question, but do Gas Stations have offices for Managers or even a break room of some sort? I have a scene I am writing involving the owner of the station having a meeting with my protagonist. Ordinarily, you'd think the conversation would be "Meet me in my office," But in a gas station, is there even such a thing?

2. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Most probably yes. There should be some sort of office space at the back, the manager would probably have their own room while the staff might have one room dedicated to both office work and breaks.

Atrophied_Silence likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

yeah in the Uk theres often a managers office behind the till station ... probably a sectioned off corner of stock room

Cave Troll and Atrophied_Silence like this.
  4. Atrophied_Silence

Atrophied_Silence Active Member

Thanks guys, the outside perspective is helping a lot :)

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Office for sure, just about any business needs one, but maybe not a breakroom. It would depend on the size. Gas stations tend to be teeny-tiny with only one attendant, but a combo gas station/convenience store just might.

ETA: funny now that I think about it, but I've never seen a breakroom in a restaurant because, you know, none of us get breaks.

Catrin Lewis and Shenanigator like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

do you not have a changing space though - presumably you don't walk down the street wearing whites and a silly hat ?

7. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Old ones with an attached garage sometimes do. I remember when I was a kid in the Midwest my mom's gas station of choice was a Marathon station that had been there since the late 1950's or very early 60's, and that one did. It's where you went to pay if your car serviced there, and there was a coke machine, and the manager's desk was in the corner. There was a door from the manager's office that led into the garage. The one my mom went to had two service bays instead of one, but here's a couple of vintage ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Does the bathroom count? Other than that we have hooks on the walls in dry storage for chef's coats and regular coats, but we still have to kick our boots into the corner or underneath the shelves. This gets annoying when there's twenty people in the building and everyone has snow or mud boots. Trouble with restaurants is that every square inch is needed for storage, refrigeration, kitchen or dining.

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  9. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

That's because restaurant breaks happen in the dirty back alley filled with cigarette butts. If you're lucky, you'll even get a shitty old wooden picnic table or something to sit on.

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Mil at rest there is an office.
    Mil in combat the office happens to be
    three feet from the CO, before they knock
    you so flat that you have to roll down your
    socks to take a shit. :p

matwoolf likes this.
  11. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

They have offices in the back. I've been to fires at a couple and had a good look around. They're often pretty cramped, but they're there.

Pretty much any commercial premises will have at least a small office somewhere, really. No manager wants to sit and do his paperwork in full view of the public, otherwise everyone will spot that he's actually playing Candy Crush.