1. cherrya

cherrya Active Member

How do you describe that feeling you get when you look at someone you like for the 'first time'?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by cherrya, Apr 16, 2017.

I know how it could be done, since it has been done so many times already, but I was thinking about more original ways of doing it and thought I might come here and ask.

I don't mean love, per say, and it's also not like when you look at someone and go "Wow, they're really beautiful!" I'm talking about when you get to know someone and they smile in such a way or say something in particular and you feel something. But it's not so strong that you go "I want to marry that person." It's new and it's fresh and it's innocent. (I'm writing about 12-13 y/o kids so, haha!)

Anyway, I was just wondering.

Have a nice day!

2. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Active Member

Well, I would've said starstruck, but that sounds a bit true-love-y.
    Perhaps infatuated or some twist on that.
    Personally, thinking back, I'd describe the feeling as gleeful. When we shared a look and a smile, something inside me just went "EEEEEHEEEEHEEE!" :supergrin:
    I was about that age when it happened, so I'd also describe it as intriguing and captivating. XD

Those feelings have since passed, but we're still really good friends. When I see her happy about something, or laughing at something I said, it's a similar, yet markedly different, feeling. It's more of a camaraderie, like a... almost contentment? In some ways, it is still gleeful! ^w^
    Never underestimate the power of a friendly smile.

Lifeline and Malisky like this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Butterflies in the stomach is a cliche, but it's also a really, really accurate description of the reaction.

I usually try to play with that a little - a pleasant twist in someone's gut, an unexpected warmth, or whatever. But really, I think "butterflies" is still the best. Too bad so many other writers agree with me!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    TyrannusRex likes this.
  4. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I think that when you are young and you can't really tell for sure whether it's love when you meet someone for the first time, the word that comes to mind is "intriguing". A person that for an inexplicable reason has a magnetizing effect upon you. Until you realize at least that you are in love or obsessed or ecstatic when something good happens or miserable when something bad happens.

TyrannusRex likes this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    A part of my brain gets excited to see them, and then it quickly jumps into reality.
    Then depression follows for daring to think they would even be interested, because
    you realize that she would never date a nice guy. So the vicious cycle revolves. :p

6. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

I can't remember what that feels like, so I would say - I felt that something new and endearing arose in me and I wanted to find out what that was.

cherrya and TyrannusRex like this.
  7. cherrya

cherrya Active Member

People still believe that 'nice guy' mentality? Amazing.

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    To be honest, I don't believe in anything...
    I am just a miserable human being. :p

9. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I think Rod Stewart summed up this feeling fairly well:

10. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

For me it's like, your belly flips, like how it feels to ride a rollercoaster when it takes a sudden dip. The pit of your belly sort of somersaults. And I guess you also feel a little lightheaded, and you can feel heat on your cheeks, neck and ears. Your breath also hitches. I know it's a cliché too, but I guess you just forget to breathe when you're in that situation, looking at them or just sneaking peeks at them. This is what I remember from middle school / high school, but I suppose it's not much different even now. The belly acrobatics were there when I met my husband for the first time too.