How do you design the personalities of your main cast to have good dynamics with eachother?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Simon Price, Sep 17, 2018.

1. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I like that setup a lot, and I usually use it to make the groundwork for my characters. The list I made is just an extension of that that I found myself falling into the pattern of.

DK3654 likes this.
  2. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

If you have a band depending on your story type they may all share the same goal. This goal could be Kill the evil dragon.
    But give them all a different motivation. One want to kill the dragon to clear the family name as his great-grandfather failed to kill the dragon and it destroyed his town. Another has a revenge agenda against the dragon, another wants to reward the head of the town offered and so on.
    You can often make a personality from their motivations.

But I don't sit a focus on making them all "work" because sometimes it can be more interesting if they don't but learn eventually to work together for a common goal. What I do make sure I do if have plenty of colour. So I don't have two character that are basically copies of each other, or the one pointless character that offers nothing to the group. I do try avoid labels like 'the funny man' and 'the straight man' 'the know-it all' because that confines the characters to a type.

Sometimes it's fun to use those tropes and then play with them and stick a square peg in a round hole. So make the girl the funny one and the young one the smart one and the old guy the Idiot. Or make the girl the leader.

Simpson17866 and Some Guy like this.