How do you feel about italics?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Louanne Learning, Nov 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I use them where I must. I see them almost as stylistic. They take a sentence and force a reader to say it in a certain manner. That feels very modern. I don't think the old greats ever did such a thing, but I'm not an old great. I don't like them for inner dialog though. I realize they're an option, but I opt out. Too many of those italicized lines start to look cobwebby and desiccated, like your sentence is dying in hospice.

The one forced-reading stylistic device I find utterly dumb though is this:
    Don't write dramatic one-word sentences. It. Is. Stupid.​

And look, I know some people here do this. It's okay. Some pros do it too. For me, personally, it's just too heavy handed and affected. It dates a sentence too much of this time, IMO. I think it will go out of style, or I hope it does. It's a mullet in prose.

Not sure what that device even is . . . a caesura? A caesura forces a pause, so maybe. The Greeks had names for all rhetoric. Almost any style trick you can think of has already been named.

EFMingo and Louanne Learning like this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I think that began as strictly a text message thing, and then people started using it in real-world context, and eventually even in self-pubbed stories. A mark of the degeneration of our language and culture in these postmodern times.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  3. Seven Crowns

It's definitely in books now. It does seem very much like a meme or text message style. People do make jokes with that cadence, so maybe it fills that gap. I write around it though. I just can't bring myself to commit it to paper. Maybe in a forum post it's more fitting? Just the jokiness of it.

w. bogart and Xoic like this.
  4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

My dinosaur is fucking your wife.

You need a new wife.

5. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

I did actually use italics in my current WIP. The main character is a young boy, In his thoughts he was hearing his mothers voice. It was the mothers voice I put in Italics, for her reminders of his manners. It minimized the usage, but set those thoughts apart for the rest for clarity.

6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I love a one-word sentences. I actually do this all the time. And I've published (not self-published) a bunch of stories using this technique. It's something I do way more than I use italics.​

Storysmith and Seven Crowns like this.
  7. Seven Crowns

Oh, those are okay. One-word sentences have power. It's just when they break up a whole sentence into one-word sentences. Those bother me.

This. Has. Impact.
    <-- That sort of thing bothers me. The lonely word that's pulling the weight of a sentence though is awesome. I use them too.

EFMingo and deadrats like this.
  8. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

xkcd: Quotative Like

Catriona Grace likes this.
  9. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I hate that crap too. The periods after every word drive me nuts. We get it. The words are naked on the street screaming for attention. Please, put those away! For the children's sake!

However, I do somewhat enjoy Herbert's use of italics in Dune for internal struggle. So much of the novel is thought instead of put into conversation. You just begin to read it as in a different plane and it works for me.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Louanne Learning likes this.
  11. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I'm quoting myself, but...

I was curious about that Benet story, and found it on the internet. The name of it is "By the Waters of Babylon," and I just re-read it and found it to be as powerful now as when I first read it some sixty years ago:

[link deleted]

It's a masterful telling by a masterful writer, and it may be worth noting that I found it in a English-class schoolbook. That was the type of stuff they gave us to read. I haven't seen a schoolbook in years, but I wonder if the students these days get such high-calorie reading matter.

I discovered Kurt Vonnegut in another such book:

[link deleted]

Vonnegut used italics, but sparingly, mainly to indicate quoted material.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2022
    Louanne Learning likes this.
  12. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

There are times when italics are the correct format to use:

- titles of creative works or publication names (Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet)
    - foreign words in English text (His gato is my cat.)
    - scientific names of organisms (Homo sapiens)
    - to specify words used as themselves (She uses the word very too much.)
    - vessel names (NASA's Challenger)

And then whether a word should be italicized for emphasis is up to the writer.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    Catrin Lewis likes this.
  13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I know no harm was intended, but can we not link to sites that violate an author's copyright please... to illustrate this kind of argument it would be acceptable to post a short except under the fair use exception

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  14. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

My apologies. I had thought that when these works appear on those sites, the author or author's estate had given permission. I'm surprised that those entities don't police the web sites more aggressively to prevent copyright violations.

15. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Bone2pick and Iain Aschendale like this.
  16. Jose Chandler

Jose Chandler Banned

Some writers and readers appreciate the use of italics for emphasis or to indicate internal thoughts in first-person narratives, as it can help convey tone or differentiate between different types of text within a passage. Italics can be useful in adding emphasis or drawing attention to particular words or phrases, which can enhance the reader's understanding or experience of the text.

17. w. bogart

As a reader I find italics a distraction.

18. Dewey

Dewey Active Member

Aside from the default grammatical uses, I use italics to differentiate between conversations with different tones [for example, a whisper-yelled conversation between two parties] and for emphasis on certain words.

19. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I like it for emphasizing a word - like - you did what?!
    Other than that I'm not a huge fan. I especially hate it when it's used for prologues or used in chapters to differentiate between past and present. A lot of horrors used to do that - drove me nuts.

20. FFBurwick

FFBurwick Member

Italics are a bother, to me. I would rather not modify how letters of the text are printed, I want to write well enough and use punctuation well enough to not become dependent on modifications like italics, or bolding, for that matter. With saying that, I still won't be critical of others using italics, or bolding the letters of words, to a limited extent in more appropriate places in their writing.

21. w. bogart

Like so many other tools in life, the tool itself is not the problem. It is how the tool is used. Italics, bolding, and font changes make things stand out to the reader. As writers the questions we need to be asking are why does this need to stand out? Are we doing it to show something a character is reading, thus making it stand out from the narrative flow? Or is it a key item in a developing plot that needs to stand out to the reader? Or is it to make a specific character stand out as different from the rest, such as Death speaking in all caps in the discworld novels? As a reader I find these can easily be distracting, if the purpose isn't immediately apparent.
    Like so many other things, this is a choice of the author. And like many other choices, how well considered the choice is, determines to a large degree if it works or not in the story.

22. FFBurwick

FFBurwick Member

It is just my preference, in which I don't include others, those who write should write in their own fashion, yet I would work at sharpening my writing ability. I just don't use bolding or italicizing of any of the text in my works of writing, though I use capitalization often. In discussion online I might, still, in emphasizing something in communication with others, so I see when I might do that. But the works of writing from me never seem to need that, so I don't include those in what I consider for making the writing yet better.

23. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

The story I'm currently writing centers around a Ph.D. student who at one point states the title of his dissertation. According to most outlets, you use quotes to reference short articles, stories, lectures, etc., and you use italics for longer works, such as novels, etc. So, I put his title in quotes. In my first book, however, I wrote something like... "The Byzantine warrior sat atop his steed in a horrifying suit of black armor. The helmet he wore looked like something a wraith would have donned in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings."

I know that's picky, but if you're a professional writer, it's the nuances like this that add up. And God, i know!! I really let my inner nerd run wild in that first book! lol.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  24. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

I'm OK with italics. Honestly, I don't even notice. The idea of using italics makes me sad, though.

Learn from them, collaborate with them, celebrate them, but don't use them. Italics have feelings. Like all nationalities we are all beautiful individuals.

Hug an italic today.

Xoic likes this.
  25. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

For a less flippant thought, stylistic rules have a place. Consistency probably has nearly the importance, and style is subject to fad.

Back in my day (am I really that old?), grade points drowned in red ink for things like failing to put two spaces after every period. One space, please, but it was once a matter of scorn to fail the second space.

"You and I" was always the only form. "You and me" was always considered bad grammar.

I try to obey the rules, but it's probably OK to remember the prime directive is to communicate.