Tags:
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

How do you know when a subplot is relevant

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Link the Writer, Nov 8, 2017.

Just had a question about subplots...

Basically, how do you know when a subplot is relevant, and even when you can come up with all kinds of reasons why, how do you know if it’s still relevant?

For example, Lady Levola Valmorn (a character in my fantasy) finding a feral child left to his own devices thanks to his abusive parents. I could find a flimsy excuse like: she knew an abused child growing up, but could never help him. How would I know if this were still relevant/important to the overall plot?

Thoughts? How do you determine whether a subplot is worth it or not?

2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

When it supports your central theme.

izzybot and Shenanigator like this.
  3. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I was thinking more along the lines of you don't know when it's relevant; you make it relevant. Rather than her knowing an abused child while growing up, I think you would get greater impact if she were the abused child growing up.

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. Link the Writer

Wow. I feel ashamed now, as I didn’t realize you could make it relevant. And now that I think about it, I already have another character who could easily fill that role...

5. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I hope you didn't take that as insulting, it wasn't meant to be. The story world you're creating is yours. In that world you are God. Have faith in yourself and make it what you want it to be.

On the third day God said let there be relevant subplot, and there was relevant subplot.

6. Odile_Blud

Odile_Blud Active Member

Does her knowing an abused child growing up play a part in how she treats this new child?

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Exactly.

Do I have to have experienced unkindness to know that I should be kind? Can I not be kind just because it's nice?

In fact, the evidence is that an abused child is more likely to grow up to be an abusive adult.

Link the Writer likes this.
  8. Link the Writer

That was my thinking. Levola doesn’t need to have a tragic past in order to be compassionate. Ron and Hermione both never had tragic pasts, but they’re the two most compassionate people in the whole Harry Potter series. I’ve never been an abused child (thank the gods), but even I know to be kind toward those who actually are victims of child abuse. Levola, being the head of the royal guard, would clearly know the statistics and would work on a way to avoid history once again repeating itself on that child.

“I’ve seen the numbers; statistically an abused child, without intervention, is more than likely to grow up to be the abuser — because that’s all they’ve ever known growing up. I will not allow this boy to be just one more number.” That’s her justification there. The fact that she knew an abused child growing up, but was unable to do anything to help that child is more than enough to spur her on. As far as she’s concerned, she failed that child, so she would not fail this one.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Amber13 likes this.
  9. Amber13

Amber13 Member

I was just talking about this in another thread, but subplots have been something I've struggled with creating. My approach was (now that I've switched gears and am working on developing a new story) to pick a character trait in my MC that I wanted to explore, and find a place in the story where she could do so. I know it'll be important for her to be stealthy in book three, but she hasn't really developed those skills yet; I also want her to be able to understand the politics of her kingdom and realize how much it takes to have a functioning city or nation. So I'll introduce a subplot where the stakes are lower than where I know she'll eventually need those skills, but still something where she learns things she'll utilize in the bigger plot.