1. Username Required

Username Required Active Member

How do you know you’re ready to publish a collection or chapbook?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Username Required, Feb 19, 2023.

As the title says, how do you know you’re ready to publish a collection or chapbook? I’ve got a bunch of poems published individually, so I’m wondering at what point I should gather them into a book.

1. How many poems do you need to have ready for a collection or chapbook?
    2. If you’re continually writing poems and getting them published in journals, how do you know when to stop adding more to your book and save the rest for your next one?
    3. How similar in theme must poems in a collection/chapbook be?
    4. If you’re self-publishing, which is better, a collection or several chapbooks?
    5. If I publish multiple chapbooks, could they be brought together and published as a collection?

Thanks!

2. Username Required

Username Required Active Member

I got some of my questions answered. My friend wants me to compile a pro-life chapbook of about ten poems for a local pregnancy center which which she’s involved, and I’m working on that now.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Ebook, the amount of content/length doesn't matter. But, for a print book, you will need to have sufficent content/length/pages so that the title and author can be on the spine, if that makes a difference to you.

Username Required likes this.