Tags:
  1. jenniwrites

jenniwrites New Member

How do you make a story more general

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by jenniwrites, May 16, 2020.

Or not specific to a topic that nobody really reads about

For example I’m talking about special education in my story and I don’t want to have to refer to the specific terms that people might have to keep looking up or get confused by Or at worst cringe at

it’s hard for me to explain it myself because I have an intellectual disability autism and a language disorder

I’ve been hearing these terms like IEP and special education another terms that are very specific most of my life

I’m trying to write for a general middle to upper middle school audience

If you need any more information to answer this question please let me know because I’m not sure if I fully explained it

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, I'd say you engage the topic using the language that regular people use--as opposed to technical experts--of an overload of terminology is your greatest concern.

Which is what, 10 to 12 year olds? In that case, you'll definitely have to engage them in familiar language.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. jenniwrites

jenniwrites New Member

Thank you for your response i’m not sure whether my book should be a middle grade or young adult

all of my characters are pretty much in seventh grade. I believe one of them is in eighth grade now as I mentioned earlier in another post this story is going to be about bullying possibly gay bashing and bullying towards the handicapped The main protagonist has cerebral palsy ,One is typical but gay one is autistic ,one has Down syndrome One has an intellectual disability and the other one is what would you call typical

Also one of the characters is coming to terms with the fact that they have an intellectual disability

Like during the novel she is diagnosed by the school and is moved to a special-needs class

is there anywhere I can go to Or anyone that can possibly put an insight or input
    On this subject

i’m trying not to use the terms very specific like IEP .. things like that and I’m trying to touch on Things like therapy And diagnostic terms And sort of brush through it like write it but not make it so like the focus

and I’m also trying to have the bullies in my and the character have reasonable insults

The only thing I can come up with for the bullet to say the far is the common r word and spazz Things like that and I also I have had. one of the bullies call the character that is friends with the main character with CP a para and saying things like Where is your communication board but I feel that feels to forsed And it’s not general enough

4. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    Well there are ways to make something accessible without watering down the writing. Too general and the plot and characters lose their influence to the reader. I think you're book idea has the great potential to tug at some hearts and be informative at the same time.

Perhaps introduce the terms through the story. Maybe one has to have therepy or some kind of counseling and the specific jargon and diagnosis is expaloned to the character. That way the reader learns something while also keeping the narrative engaging.

I can understand having a target audience but I've always been opposed to catering to an audience. Show your target audience something new.

Not the Territory and peachalulu like this.
  5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I wouldn't downplay it. Kids are pretty smart if you inform them of what something is called in a memorable scene they will remember it - it's like the flux capacitor in Back to the Future 30 + years after that movie I still remember the term.

Just don't throw a lot of information at them in one scene and you should be good.

6. jenniwrites

jenniwrites New Member

I understand what you’re saying

honestly I’m not trying to downplay the story because of the kids I’m just trying not to sound crazy or cringe worthy with all the medical terminology I want want to make sure anyone Can understand and relate to the characters if you know what I mean and that the story is realistic

peachalulu likes this.