1. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

How do you organize your sudden subplots, ideas, etc. that you find them again later?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Brigid, Apr 4, 2017.

Hi writers,

When I am plotting my main plots, I am getting ideas for details, e.g. subplots, pieces of dialog, settings, other ideas, etc. I bet it happens to you too.

Writing them down and sticking them on my corkboard with my main plots makes the entire plotting process rather confusing and complex.

Do have a system that tames bits and pieces that you also find again when you need it? If yes, could you describe it briefly?

zoupskim likes this.
  2. Apollypopping

Apollypopping Member

Scrivener!

You'll find it in resources for a free 30 day trial.

It's truly incredible. I use it and a couple notebooks.

QueenOfPlants and zoupskim like this.
  3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I throw them all in a document (probably named "fuck") in whatever order they occur to me because I'm a mess.

Fernando.C, Infel, ajaye and 7 others like this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

If it springs directly from something else I put a comment in the word document. Usually it's snippets of dialogue I want the character to use later. If it's more of a generic idea for a future chapter or something I write the note and the very bottom of the document and put it in bold or something. I also, like @izzybot, have a separate document running for each draft, but I usually throw things I cut out in there, which can very useful in later drafts when you're looking for another scene to throw in here or there.

zoupskim and Spencer1990 like this.
  5. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I utilize the "notes" section on my iPhone. Most of the random things that occur to me do so at inopportune times. So, when that happens, I just pull out my phone and get them down before they fly away like the fickle little fucks they are.

Joe King, zoupskim and Apollypopping like this.
  6. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Yeah, this. I have a folder called 'writing', another folder called 'scraps', five scrivener folders of various short stories, a folder called "Main-WIP" with the master document of my current book. All on my desktop. It's a mess.

Out and about I use waterproof Journals, and 'notes' in my phone. When I get home at the end of the day I type them in scrivener

izzybot and Spencer1990 like this.
  7. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I have an old school paper notebook.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  8. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I've thought about getting a waterproof notebook to keep in the shower, since I unfailing have better ideas in there than anywhere else.

zoupskim likes this.
  9. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Thanks, Apollypopping. I heard it has a steep learning curve.

10. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Where can I get one?

11. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Hi Laurin,
    And how is this notebook organized?

12. Apollypopping

Apollypopping Member

It's really not too bad. The tutorial did take me all day, but I have two small kids so everything takes thrice longer than it should.

Plus, most features are optional and there is a quick-start tutorial.

13. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Your and my mess are twins, Zoupskim. I really would like to get a handle on it. If I would have enough cash, I would hire a secretary to keep my writings in order and up to date and all I have to do is writing and coming up with ideas.

zoupskim likes this.
  14. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Where do you get them down, Spencer? From your phone you transfer them to... where?

15. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Sounds good. :)

16. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

I see, you have then your main manuscript and the notes all in one file?

17. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Depends on what it is. If it's a premise for a short story, I'll write it after reading the notes I have.

If it's a note for a larger manuscript or already existing story, I'll incorporate it when I work on that manuscript or story.

If the idea needs to sit on the back burner while it develops, I have a document that I'll type it into.

18. Homer Potvin

Yup. But I'm not much of a note taker. I only plot the big stuff, and most of that I can keep in my head.

19. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

It's...not. It's rather a hodgepodge of notes that I often struggle to understand when I revisit them. Like @Homer Potvin I keep most of what I think of in my brain instead of notes under what may be a misguided notion that good ideas stick mentally for me and the bad ones fade away.

izzybot and Homer Potvin like this.
  20. Dr.Meow

Dr.Meow Contributor Contributor

Pretty much this. I do try and keep it organized though, and currently my document is thirteen pages, half is describing the "rules" of the world it's set in (fantasy). The other half is plot ideas, characters and short blurbs about them, and at the end I have some stuff written out that won't go in till much later in the book, but I didn't want to lose it. All that in that order, and I make sure I find the section I need to put things in when I have something to add.

21. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I generally keep them in my head - if i write them down its either on a post it, or in a word doc, but i find they are most useful in my head where i can think of them while driving, working, cooking, having sex etc (okay may be not the last one)

Homer Potvin and zoupskim like this.
  22. Joe King

Joe King Member

I have a separate word doc for ideas of short stories, novels etc and plot them in there with a brief synopsis of what's come to mind. If it's to do with something I'm already working on I place it in a page at the top of the doc and make sure I leave a good enough description so I can really what the hell I was thinking about.

23. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

It seems to be orderly up in my noggin... But then again it's my noggin, so it doesn't work for everyone. Occasionally I'll have to write down some names so I can remember them.

24. Homer Potvin

Yeah, I, uh, never, um, do that either.

Apollypopping likes this.
  25. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

Thank you for recommending this!
    I have downloaded it and am working through the tutorial and it might be just the thing I've been looking for for so long!
    I am totally thrilled. Like a carpenter getting his hands on the new Woodcut 2000 chainsaw with integrated axe and whittle knife.

Apollypopping likes this.