1. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

How do you "see" your writing?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Scarecrow28, Sep 5, 2008.

How do you "see" your writing when your actually writing it? Do you actually hear or visualize the words, or do you visually picture the actual scene taking place. For me, the action scenes are always seen in a visual sense, while I actually see/hear the text for the more calm scenes. Sometimes its a combination of both.

2. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Well, while I'm writing I'm always visualizing what is going on up in my head. But I do this quite often with everything, even if somebody is talking to me I'm picturing what they're saying. Result of too much daydreaming I'm sure. =P

Though once I've written it and I go back to re-read it to see how it sounds it's harder for me to visualize it. Seeing as it is my own writing and all I can see is 'writing' lol.

3. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

The worse thing is being in school or something were I have a single action scene that would be maybe 20-40 seconds at the most if it was actually filmed replaying in my head when I can't write it down. It drives me crazy.

4. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I see it as a movie that I am writting out

5. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

I'm the char in first person, and watching something take place in anything else. :) like writing in first person because it lets me live the chars life, his/her adventure.

6. Kylie

Kylie New Member

Normally, I see the scene when I'm writing it, but I don't see every last detail- just the stuff that's vital to my story. For conversations, I just know what to write next. Literally, words just keep coming into my mind as if there's someone in front of me flipping flashcards which tell me what to write next. :D. I daydream a lot with dialogs and etc so those things come to me very quickly when I'm writing.
    I don't write much real 'action' scenes. When I do, though, I 'barely' see it (if that makes sense.)

7. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I visualize it whenever I write, get bored, and before I sleep and re-visualize it several times to get the best scene down before writing it.

8. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

This is interesting.
    My imagination is incredibly vivid. I pretty much visualize every little detail.
    A little too well to be honest - my writing can never seem to stand up to the scene in my head haha.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I put myself in a head place where I see the scene, hear the sounds, feel, smell, and taste as appropriate.

10. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I'm more dialogue-oriented, so I hear voices in my head. I know that sounds crazy, trust me, but I do do that >_>;;

I find writing descriptions, and sometimes even actions, boring at times, though when I do, I visualize it. It doesn't help when I'm recalling scenes I write which are based on actual events and I LOL in public.

11. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I see the scene taking place in my head and then try to put it into words.

12. ABMiller86

ABMiller86 New Member

::Nerd Alert::

What i like to do is i close my eyes and put myself into a white room... ah who am i kidding i pretend i am in the holodeck (star trek) and then i start building the elements of the world. Of course i am also able to just pick back up a previous scene in my head as long as i read what was previously written.

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I see the scene in my head.
    I hear the voices, I smell, and feel everything.
    To me I see no words just sites.
    And that is the problem I would be a better drawer if I could draw. That is why my grammar is terrible and I have to fix so many typos because the first time I write something its just a scene in my head.

14. Wastelander

Wastelander New Member

I generally visualize it like I'm watching a TV show. I then try to write the best description for what I see possible.

15. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I can't help experiencing the events I'm writing about to a certain extent, but because of the difficulty of portraying movie style events in succinct words, I try to keep the visualizations a bit vague.

16. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I try to actually see and be as present in the scene as possible. I don't have trouble visualizing the scene or putting myself into it, I mostly have difficulty with other senses of the scene, sound most of all. I always end up feeling as if I haven't adequately described it. I try not to let it get in my way, though, when I'm writing.

17. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

When I'm reading I tend to visualize the scene in my head, with a voice-over to accompany it (which is me reading the words). If I get immersed enough the voice over disappears. If it is in first person, it is through the main character's eyes or from a very close perspective, if not, it's just the third person sense.

When I'm trying to write a scene, I visualize it and then try to describe it accurately.

18. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

I draw comics so I usually see it as a "cartoon" I convert to panels (harder than you think) or "hear" it as some snappy dialogue and think up visuals later.

19. jman1217

jman1217 New Member

I usually imagine the scene I'm writing as if it were a movie, shown shot for shot. The scenes are mostly shown from an over the shoulder first person view, although sometimes it is shown from a third person pov, even though it's written in first person.

20. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

If I'm concentrating on a character (third-person limited or first-person) I try not only to play the scene in my head (totally like a movie with all the special effects :p), but also sit in the person's shoes like she and I are one. I can then let my own body feel the way she would (e.g. my fingers shivering, my eyes dimming, etc) and then put it into words in the best way possible.

21. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I hear the dialogue and I see the scenes in my head. It all goes together like something that's really happening. I just seem to be the one observing and recording it.

22. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I see the scenes in my head. Dialogue is a little harder for me to imagine, but I usually imagine someone I know talking.

23. moriartanian

moriartanian New Member

Depends on what I'm writing; If it is a poem it just kind of pops in (most of my poems are abstract) If it is first person, with a lot of action, I am normally the character, or right behind them, like in video games

24. moriartanian

moriartanian New Member

Depends on what I'm writing; If it is a poem it just kind of pops in (most of my poems are abstract) If it is first person, with a lot of action, I am normally the character, or right behind them, like in video games

25. kehl

kehl New Member

I'm not too great at short stories because i'm not much of a visualizer when it comes to practical scenes. I've read too much surrealism in my day. It has greatly skewed my internal vision. What I usually do is try to paint my emotions with surreal images, then those images into words. It always turns out very unintelligible to other people. When I read my own works months later I can remember exactly how I felt based on my poetry. And that's where my problems set in; since my writing is so non-sequitar and incoherent(or so I've been told) I struggle to try and get people to understand it. My final product, revision after revision, is usually not what I originally intended. Which leaves me wondering what's more important to me: Getting my thoughts onto paper, in a cathardic and refreshing way, or try as best I can to write an accessable poem while trying to still hold it's original value.