1. Maresuke_Nogi

Maresuke_Nogi New Member

How do you tell whether a book's copyright has expired?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Maresuke_Nogi, Aug 9, 2018.

Hi, I have been doing research on the Russo-Japanese war and came across the 5 volume REPORTS OF MILITARY OBSERVERS ATTACHED TO THE ARMIES IN MANCHURIA DURING THE RUSSO-JAPANESE WAR. Google has scanned the entire book and has posted it online (https://books.google.com/books/about/Reports_of_Military_Observers_Attached_t.html?id=T2ZuAAAAMAAJ). However, they neglected to scan a series of maps published with Volume 1. I borrowed the volume from my local university's library and intend to scan the maps. However, I am worried that kinkos will refuse to scan them because of some kind of copyright reason (afterall, why didn't google just scan them?).

Does anyone know if copyright factors into this anymore?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Works of the federal government are in the public domain in the U.S., not subject to copyright. If the maps were produced by government contractors and not employees they could have been protected by copyright, but given the date of publication here they’d also be in the public domain. There shouldn’t be a problem getting these copied.

Maresuke_Nogi likes this.
  3. Maresuke_Nogi

Maresuke_Nogi New Member

Thank you!

Steerpike likes this.