1. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

Travel Journalism?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Caveriver, Oct 26, 2018.

Does anyone have any experience writing (or extensively reading, I suppose) travel articles? I am faced with writing one only because I have a character who must do so. Things to do/avoid? Finding a general format has been simple enough, thanks to Google, but I would like it to feel as authentic as possible. The destination in question is of my own invention, so I do have wiggle room on content. Tips?

2. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Do you mean you're going to put an article in your book just because your character wrote one in the story? How would that fit in?

3. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

Yes. The journalist character is writing an article about the place the MC works. He promises her at the beginning of the story to allow her to read it before he publishes it, in exchange for her agreeing to help him do his research. I hadn’t originally planned to actually write the article, but now it feels like I should so it isn’t glossed over for the reader.

4. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Caveriver likes this.
  5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Journalists don't promise this. It's a big no-no to allow a source to read a piece prior to publication. It can be a fireable offense. The most I've known journalists to be allowed to do is reread or email exact quotes that will be potentially used in the article. However, it's a really bad idea because you don't want to deal with a source trying to change a quote to make themselves sound better. A reason you don't let them see the article before print. You don't want them steering or altering the piece to fit what they want or think it should say. On top of that, the journalist doesn't always see a final copy of a story before it runs. It has to go through an editor or two, a fact checker and copy editors. I've done this kind of work. I would never let a source read a piece before publication. That's just not how it usually works. If a journalist needs some help setting up interviews, translation or better grasping a situation, they hire a what is called fixer. And you usually ask other journalists to recommend a fixer or the publication you are working for. You want a fixer you can trust more than a source. Fixers can often be local journalists wherever you go, but they don't have to be. I also wouldn't try to include a travel piece you write yourself in the book. It's too likely your inexperience with travel writing will show.

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

If this article isn't pivotal to the plot, then I don't think the reader honestly cares... Just my two cents.

deadrats likes this.
  7. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

This is extremely insightful, and I appreciate it! Maybe you can clarify some jargon for me? Would someone serving as a point of contact (or tour guide, local expert, etc) at the destination in question be referred to as a source, or would that be more of a fixer (assuming I understand you correctly, and fixers can be non-journalists)?
    I am not too heartbroken to find out this pre-viewing practice is fireable. It actually adds conflict to my scenario. His promise to share was already made reluctantly, and as a sort of sacrifice on his part to win her trust on another matter- something he simply cannot do without her. If this agreement also jeopardizes his career, all the better for me...
    Also, I’d much rather NOT write the article, but I don’t want to leave the reader with unanswered questions. Even avoiding the MC seeing it until after publication... I still feel the reader will want to experience it too (at least parts?), especially since the story is told in first person.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    deadrats likes this.
  8. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

Agreed!

deadrats and Mckk like this.
  9. deadrats

A source will usually be someone quoted in the story or who provides direct info that goes in the story. Your point of contact sounds more like a fixer. Instead of writing the article, I would write about it. Ie. "When the article in Daily Star came out Mr. Novel regretted spilling the beans on the whole opposition." Something like that. Let me know if you need anymore help and feel free to send me a message if you want me to look at anything for you. Good luck!

Caveriver likes this.
  10. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

Will do, thanks! Are fixers typically paid, or compensated in some way? If so, is that the responsibility of the journalist or might that fall to the publication, if it is an assignment? Could someone be a fixer as well as a source? Meaning, I guess, could one include a quote from a fixer?

11. deadrats

You wouldn't use a fixer as a source, but a fixer can put you in touch with sources and contacts. But you want a fixer who has no stake in the story. Most of the time I believe journalists pay out of pocket for fixers. I did have one magazine who set me up with a fixer. In that case, my fixer had previously been a journalist with the publication. I believe he was compensated by my publication to be my fixer. You might not need a fixer for a travel piece. It would depend on where you were going and what you were trying to do.

Caveriver likes this.