How Do Your Characters Get About?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Bobby Burrows, Mar 6, 2019.

1. J. J. Wilding

J. J. Wilding Member

My stories take place in a world where human development was set back considerably after a war, so automobiles are still in the pipe dream phase. But, with my magic system, they can travel between portals designed to work together or use a similar idea called a transportation crystal, though this requires skill to use correctly without ending up somewhere random. The idea is that the world, after this war, was broken apart and the only way to get from one country to the next is via these portals. No flying and as yet, no vehicles of any kind.

2. graveleye

graveleye Senior Member

hmm... My MC begins the story in a hoopdie of unknown manufacture. That car is so embarrassing that the model is never mentioned.
    Then he takes Amtrak to NYC, ends up making a good bit of cash, and buys a 1986 Buick Grand National, which was quite a car in that day.
    Then he flies in airplanes, occasionally a chartered one.
    But he's fine with hiking and backpacking too.
    His girlfriend has three high-end sports cars and doesn't know how to drive.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    We loved those cars back then.

[​IMG]

4. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

Magnus walks around without any shoes on a floating island after gods flooded the world. He travels constantly around the world yet sees nothing new unless he stare into the ocean and city ruins. He can still visit the ancient Mayans and Egyptians in the blasphemous outskirts.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

My UK Asian Buffy the Vampire Slayer who's going to Croydon College still living at home in Thornton Heath and working at her family business, an off license or newsagents. She has to fight off vampires, demons, and horny Indian men who her traditional grandparents try to set her up with for marriage.
    Drives
    [​IMG]
    The family use this for the cash and carry, and she also has to learn to drive in this thing.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Katibel

Katibel Member

Walking. Walking is definitely #1. Sometimes carriages, carts, or coaches come into play. One of my characters can fly. Horses make occasional appearances.

Come to think of it...I've never written a story involving any sort of automotive. Even with my contemporary stories.