1. Clive Maguire

Clive Maguire New Member

Which Police service/rank for overseas secondment?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Clive Maguire, Dec 13, 2017.

Hi Everyone

I am developing a plot in which the protagonist is a police officer carrying out an investigation on the basis of a request from an international police force. This other force suspects that a drugs lord in Peru is/was actually an English guy from London, and I need the protagonist to eventually end up in Peru in hot pursuit (at the moment I have her as a young-ish Detective Sergeant with the CID).

My question is - does anyone know how this might happen in practice, and what force and rank the protagonist would have to be in/hold to be sent off to Peru? I guess it is more likely that the request would come from the US or Interpol rather than from Peru, but in what form ? (I guess "Hey man - know anything about a guy called John Smith? Would you mind having a look in London and then jetting off to Peru to have a poke around?" "What? Oh yes, certainly. I'll just nip round to Trailfinders and pick up a ticket, get the old corporate credit card out, and I'll be there in a jiffy." is probably not quite right).

Thanks - any help/pointers much appreciated!