1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Two narrators

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Naomasa298, Sep 22, 2019.

I've finally got a plot outline for my magificent octopus. Originally, I was going to tell the story from the protagonist's POV, but thinking about it, I'd like to tell both the protagonist's and antagonist's stories.

I'm thinking about using two different narrators, one on either side, but who are not either the pro or antagonist, but rather, people associated closely with them, and relate the story from their POV. Partly, that's because I don't want the reader to know what the real motivations of the MC or the secondary character is, and only be able to judge it from their actions, as the characters in the story do.

Do you think this will work?

jannert likes this.
  2. 31152104

31152104 Active Member

Interesting. Will it work? Make it work, try it out. Something only works if it... exists, I guess, and while audience validation is important, if you got a concept you like, run it like a Lipizzaner over the trenches and into the fire.

Got an idea from this, at some point the two narrators meet and talk.... idk, maybe there is a big final showdown between antag and protag. Two narrators sit in a room. These guys have been telling the story up to now, but for this moment, they are the story. Maybe one of the narrators even offs the other one and tells the rest of the story.

Damn Naomasa, this idea intrigues me quite a bit. Might steal it and play around for a bit : l

Naomasa298 likes this.
  3. Naomasa298

I actually hadn't thought about the two narrators meeting, but given the plot, it's going to be inevitable that they do. And how I'm going to deal with the confrontation between the pro and antagonist is still something I'm grappling with. I might worry about that at a later stage though.

4. Naomasa298

Hmm... maybe retell the same events from two different points of view when the stories cross. That sounds like a possibility.

5. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

If it's a necessary evil, you can even remove the distinction and let the reader decide who's the hero, like in X-men. Populism has a poor connection to what's right anyway, when society falls into fascism right after the last survivors die from old age. Seeing who the villain is for yourself teaches critical thinking to the reader. Cruel dictators may have a reign of terror for the greater good of stopping more deaths in a larger genocide. It's all a road to hell paved by good intentions.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  6. Naomasa298

You just figured out half the plot of my novel. :)

7. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

Have you read the House Of Night books? In very short, it's a highschool thing like Harry Potter, except with vampires. That walk around in the daylight, don't drink blood, and all sort of non-vampire stuff, making me wonder why they are vampires in the first place. But anyway, there are plenty of narrators in those books - both heroes and villains. This is done quite easily by each chapter or paragraph having the name of the narrator as the title. It keeps things easy to understand and follow, and you can have as many narrators as you want. Maybe they meet, maybe not. It doesn't really matter. As long as you make it clear who the current narrator is, it'll be fine. :)

8. Naomasa298

Sounds like tween fiction. I don't think it's my thing.

The way I'm writing it is in third person limited, but it switches between the perspective of two different characters (neither of whom are the protagonist or antagonist).

9. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

I think it can work but just need to balance out character voice vs info sharing, at least in the beginning. Third person is usually a little easier for narration because the narrator's voice is, generally speaking, more objective. Once narration comes from characters, their emotions, motivations, personalities etc can get in the way and, if you have too many strong voices in the story, it can be harder for the reader to decipher who is telling the truth or lie...unless that is what you are going for, but even so, it's important to setup the story initially with something that the reader can follow and latch onto before things get confusing.

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I not only think it will work, but I think it's an excellent plan. It will give the reader a 'window' onto the actions of both your protagonist and antagonist, but at the same time, gives the reader the opportunity to decide what is actually going on in the minds of these characters.

And you have two more characters (the two observant narrators) who will also become important in their own right.

Now ...get it written. All sorts of new ideas will occur to you as you write. Pre-planning isn't everything. The story will get richer and richer, with more nuance, as you write it. It may even change. But that's evolution for you.

Naomasa298 likes this.