Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maximum7

Maximum7 Member

How does trademark laws work for sci-fi tech?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Maximum7, Oct 28, 2022.

I want to write sci-fi and I love science fiction technologies. However I know you can trademark a name like Star Wars did with droid. Yet, speaking of Star Wars, Larry Niven’s Ringworld is trademarked but The Book of Boba Fett called their ringworld the Glavis Ringworld. Did they had to get permission from Niven?

Also if I make up a sci-fi tech or science term that appears in another work of fiction; do I get in trouble?

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

This is very nuanced and you really need to talk to an IP attorney. This thread will probably get locked as this forum isn't a legal forum.

The term 'droid' predates Star Wars; Lucasfilm (or Disney) doesn't exactly own the word. Trademarks are generally not that broad. Otherwise only one company could have an 'Apple' trademark. In fact, when Apple started iTunes they were sued by Apple Records as iTunes was a musically related venture. The computer company won, but the fact the case went to trial shows how complicated it can be.

My two cents is that you shouldn't be deterred from writing your story due to concerns that some technology you invent has appeared elsewhere, especially if it's a very intuitive name.

But consult a lawyer before you publish if you have concerns.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

There are fair use defenses to trademark infringement. There are other considerations as well—IP owners often overreach. Agree that it’s best to consult counsel.

4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

As @Bruce Johnson says above, you need to speak to a lawyer; this here is a writers forum, and legal advice is beyond our scope so I am closing this thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.