1. sorites

sorites New Member

How does your slush-reading process work?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by sorites, Dec 30, 2008.

While browsing the Internets late at night, I found this interesting read:

http://www.andromedaspaceways.com/slush.htm

About half-way down, in the FAQ, the editor answers the question, "How does your slush-reading process work?" Talk about natural selection.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

From experience, I can tell you that reading slush, while often interesting, is a never-ending task. It continually shows up in the 'in box' and editors/slush readers are almost never caught up...and if they are, within hours you're likely behind again. Competition for publication, even with smaller ezines is pretty stiff.

Each ezine/magazine/publisher devises a method that works to meet their needs as efficiently and 'fairly' as possible. Nobody wants to let a good story slip by.

A few suggestions (which I'm sure many have heard before--probably for a reason ;) ) :

Read the guidelines and what the market is looking for. Format as per guidelines. Cover letter--keep it relevant and brief. If provided, accept the comments professionally, even if you (the writer) don't agree with them.

Terry

3. Daedalus

Daedalus Active Member

I read the first page or two. If there are mistakes galore, or the story doesn't ring with me, I put it rejection folder number one. Then, another editor comes along and reads it. If s/he doesn't like it, it goes in folder two. If it goes into folder three, it's scrapped and the author is told that it wasn't up to the standard required.