1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

How exposed are you?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by deadrats, Mar 26, 2019.

For those of you who write nonfiction, how much of yourself do you put on the page? I'm talking about first personal personal essays, that sort of thing when you are essentially writing about yourself and your life. Sometimes I feel really exposed when I write these and I'm not sure if I should always try to publish them. I guess I'm sort of looking for that balance where I invite readers into my world, but don't just blurt out all my secrets. I have published a few of these, but I do always sort of wonder how this makes me look as a person, not just a writer. I recently wrote one and had my lover read it. "It's great, but you can't publish this," my lover said. It was not a piece that involves my lover at all, but, perhaps, this particular story isn't one that needs put out there. Funny thing is I think this could sell, but I have to remember I am a person with a life and secrets before I am a writer. That line blurs so easily. Have any of you felt like this? I feel like this is a type of writing I'm pretty strong at, but I struggle with that feeling of being a bit naked once it's out there. How do you handle the personal essay? Is your life an open book? Is that the approach nonfiction writers should take with this kind of writing? I'm struggling with this a little at the moment.

2. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Well, you are exposed when attach your real name to a piece that may be critical of some portion of the human experience, because the internet has a grudge with everyone and a long memory.

But part of the problem is that most writers of social commentary aren't breaking new ground, but just adding their two cents to a enormous pile of change, which means their input is little more than a vote for an established POV rather than a new take on something. And that happens when you are writing about something personal, because you aren't doing anything that millions of other people are also doing - and your actions and attitudes invariably describe a particular niche in the political landscape, whether you regard them that way or not.

My experience writing opinion pieces on various forums shows that your opinion will never be heard in full - it will first be categorized and then embraced or pilloried as 'typical' in the appropriate circles. Especially anything calling for a moderate approach: There is nothing more treasonous than moderation.

3. deadrats

I'm not writing opinion pieces. I'm writing about my life. Sometimes this stuff is hard to write, but often it's harder to live. I'm kind of going with putting it all out there. My soul is in the subtext of the print. I am selling these pieces so I'm doing something right even when everything in life is wrong. Is anyone else writing creative nonfiction. I know this thread didn't get much love, but I would love to hear from those of you who have decided to write about your lives. It's hard to write sometimes, but life is hard to live sometimes. I've been doing this for a short while, but I've decided to go all in pretty much. The more I write creative nonfiction, the more personal I'm getting. Have any of you been down this path?

Mary Elise likes this.
  4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

You might want to search for the various interviews and videos of Ann Patchett talking about This is The Story of a Happy Marriage.

I think that Commonwealth, too, draws heavily from her personal experience, and that she’s talked some about that.

Also, Truth & Beauty. I remember her saying that she doesn’t see how non-writers deal with their grief.

Anyway. There are some videos. I think there’s also an interview with Elizabeth Gilbert in the podcast for Gilbert’s Big Magic.

(I realize that you’re seeking to engage in discussion, rather than consume it. But.)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    deadrats likes this.
  5. deadrats

@ChickenFreak -- I'll check those out. Thanks. I think the part about wondering how non-writers handle grief is interesting. I sort of wonder the same thing now that you've brought it up.

Yeah, I am hoping for some sort of discussion on this, but maybe there aren't that many of us writing creative nonfiction. I've sort of found that to sell this sort of writing you can't really hold back. When publication day comes around I get a little nervous. Like did I really want to tell the world all that? I just had a piece published and I'm getting a lot of messages from both people I know and don't know. It's a much different feeling than publishing fiction. I've sold a few creative nonfiction pieces, but I know the competition to publish and get noticed is fierce in any form. I guess I'm sort of still processing how I feel about what I'm doing and writing. It sort of feels like I just posted naked selfies on Instagram. I put links to my latest piece on social media, and, yeah, it feels very similar to posting a naked selfie. FYI -- I've never posted a naked selfie.

Rzero and Mary Elise like this.
  6. ChickenFreak

Ambling back: I remember someone suggesting that when you write nonfiction you know what you’re giving away, so you’re likely to have the armor up against the really sensitive things. While when you’re writing fiction, you don’t really see how you’re reflecting your own psyche, so you may actually reveal more. I don’t know if I accept the theory, but I agree that fiction can be revealing.

I know that it can be weeks or months before I look at my writing and say, “Oh, that’s Mom,” or, “Oh, that’s part of me.” Bitter Oranges is both kinder and crueler to my mother than I would have been if I’d consciously realized that the cat is my mother.

I keep noticing that there’s a repeating theme of betrayal in my fiction, and I can’t yet see where it’s coming from. There are plenty of other themes—loss of childhood, the distinction between morals and rules, absolute morality-based rules that promptly run face-first into the anguished exception...but the betrayal is a puzzle.

Anyway.

7. ChickenFreak

The discussion of Happy Marriage might interest you here. I remember she said it’s as if there’s a photo of her in a short skirt, and another in a low-necked dress, and another of her bare-shouldered arms, and another of a bare midriff...and each reveals only a comfortable small amount, but when you combine them, she’s naked! Happy Marriage combined a bunch of her nonfiction pieces.

8. deadrats

@ChickenFreak Do you write creative nonfiction as well?

9. deadrats

@ChickenFreak And why are you a chair now?

10. ChickenFreak

Not really. I blog, or I used to—informal sloppy blogging. I used to think I was primarily a nonfiction writer and that that was where I should try to get published, but now I’m focused on writing my current novel, and then another one in another genre. I tend to flirt around, so I’m keeping those focus blinders on.

11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think the reason people choose to read fiction may be different from why they choose to read non-fiction. I suspect that people read fiction to be entertained (or stimulated in some way, to reflect on 'life,' etc.) People read non-fiction to learn and be informed about what really happens.

People who read non-fiction expect to be given 'the truth.' Directly and unambiguously. If your mother was horrible to you, and you are writing nonfiction that includes her, people expect you to not only admit that she was horrible, but give examples of her horribleness. Because it's nonfiction, we know who your mother is. Of course this can cause problems if your mother and her adherents don't agree with you—and take action against you, either legal or personal. So, while you're busy telling the truth, you also have to prepare for repercussions.

Fiction is sneaky. You can make it clear that 'a' mother is horrible. But you can always back away from accusations that it's YOUR mother, by saying 'but she's not real, she's fictional.' No matter how many people suspect she's based on a very real character, they can't actually do anything about it. If they create too much fizzle about the issue, then they'll give themselves away. So you can win by seemingly not entering the race at all.

However, the downside is the people you WANT to learn about this issue might not read it, because it's fiction and they're not in the mood to be entertained by what isn't real. So it can be hard getting the right 'audience' to read your stuff, I reckon.

With my novel, I've had a most interesting experience along these lines. While I have included some minor incidents that did actually occur in my life (a certain person will even recognise dialogue in places) these are the incidents that some early beta readers found difficult to believe. (I think I've sorted these issues because later betas haven't mentioned them.) However, betas have fished around about major incidents that are TOTALLY imaginary and pertinent only to these characters. "But that must have happened to you, otherwise how could you 'know' these things?" It's quite funny really. A bit unexpected.

I guess it all boils down to how the story is told, not what it contains.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  12. HeathBar

HeathBar Active Member

I read an article about Patchett’s Commonwealth where she said (or she said her mother said) “none of it happened and all of its real” or something to that effect. I recall something similar in Springsteen’s autobiography in which he says his songs are “emotionally accurate”’ but not necessarily factually accurate (I’m going from memory so that might not be the exact phrase). I think this general sentiment is spot on how I feel my writing is even though it’s fiction. Most of what I write is drawn from something I felt. The stories built around the feelings are fiction but the feeling is real. So, yes, I feel very exposed (and I haven’t even published anything yet). The fictional aspect of it allows you to hide—a bit—but I think to some degree by creating you’re revealing part of your soul, even if only a glimpse. I know you’re asking about non-fiction. But as someone else noted, maybe in some ways that’s almost less revelatory because you can choose which truths to expose?

Lifeline and BayView like this.
  13. deadrats

I've written and published fiction that draws from truth, but creative nonfiction is just a whole different game. You're writing about yourself, your choices and failures, your happiness and regrets, and at the same time fitting it into a story format. I'm not worried about anything legal. I'm just a little nervous about the level of honesty I'm putting into this creative nonfiction. And I should just add that the stuff I'm writing is getting published and is out there. I've always considered myself a somewhat private person, but I guess that's out the window. This kind of stuff in what I am primarily writing and publishing these days. When did I become such an open book?

Mary Elise likes this.
  14. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

I don’t really think of biographical works when I hear ‘non-fiction’. I don’t write personal blogs, but I do put my experiences into my fictional work (obviously!).

For the above reason I prefer non-fiction to steer away from biases as much as possible. If I read anything I seek out opposing perspectives as much as I can and try to develop a global picture rather than look for agreement with my initial views. When it comes to biographical works I approach them either with intense skepticism, or a more relaxed attitude - depending on my reason for reading such works.

In the context you said the above maybe the following is a little against what you were trying to express. Personally I read non-fiction to breed doubt within myself. Non-fiction can be used to reinforce ideas of ‘truth’ or to question personally perceived ‘truths’. My general mantra (that I admittedly often fail to live up to) is to face what I fear and read what I disagree with. Doing so, I like to believe, allows me to understand that what looks simple is complex and what looks complex is simple ... which is interesting to me :)

jannert likes this.
  15. jannert

Oh yes, I agree. Non-fiction is never unbiased, is it? In fact, some of it is very biased indeed. But when you read it, you don't expect fiction. What you expect is the author's perspective on something that actually exists or existed.

You do assume the writer of non-fiction is telling the 'truth' when it comes to names, dates, locations, events, however.

When you read 'fiction,' you know that these things (unless they are facts already in the public domain) have been made up or well-disguised. You may be able to guess who or where or what the author is referring to, but it will remain a guess. If it's too easy to guess correctly, the author CAN get in trouble.

I've also seen non-fiction where real names and locales have been changed, but the author always has to say so. Names have been changed to protect identity. This is because when you're reading non-fiction, you WILL assume the names referred to are real, unless you're told otherwise.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  16. deadrats

I write creative nonfiction like personal essays and that sort of thing. I'm not writing the news. I'm writing about myself and my life. @badgerjelly -- I don't know what that's not on your radar because there sure is a it of it out there. I don't change names and real places. That would not fly with any publication I've sold work to. There are probably always exceptions, but nonfiction, even creative nonfiction, should be true. I sell my stuff to publications so it's their rules I have to follow. News writing really isn't the same thing (though I think that should always remain true as well). I'm not going to feel exposed writing about something else or even my opinions so much like in an op-ed. But I tell stories about my life and the way I live. The things I've done. My stories that are sad and have regret. My struggles. My truths. Maybe I'm a face to some of these real issues we read about in the news. But it's a whole different game when you're writing about yourself even if you're in a situation that several people are in or aware of. It's a different kind of writing and I also think people approach reading it differently. What I'm doing isn't quite journalism. It's more literary even down to how it's written and formed. It has nothing to do with being biased or not. Exposing personal truths is a very hard thing. This is my main job and what I do for a living. I'm showing readers how things are for me in my life. The only viewpoint is mine. But that's really how these sort of essays work. It sounds like you're just really not formula with this form of writing. If you are interested, I would suggest reading the Modern Love column in The New York Tines to have more of an idea as to what I'm talking about.

17. deadrats

I don't want to get into the specifics on the forum, but I know you've read my nonfiction. I would like to think what I write is timely and important, but you know it's not news. It's a completely different kind of writing.

Also, names and places really aren't going to get you in trouble so long as what you are writing is true. There would be no such thing as journalism if that were the case. However, I have left details out of some of my pieces by choice. Not changed them, but not been as specific as a news writer.

jannert likes this.
  18. jannert

Yeah, but it's non-fiction. We expect it to be true, unless you tell us otherwise. If you say 'it's not his real name,' or use an obvious nickname, then we're fine. If you name him without that added bit, however, we will assume that's his real name—because it's non-fiction. Your perspective on events might not be the way other people would think or feel about the same issues—but we expect the facts you give us to be real in non-fiction—unless you tell us they're not (to protect identity, or whatever.)

And yeah, I'm afraid you can get into trouble, if the person or organisation you've identified disputes the 'truth' of what you've said. You may be called upon to prove it ...and that's where defamation lawsuits come into the picture. You might win the suit, but you'll still have to go through the process if they instigate it. And you might be telling the truth and still lose the case on a loophole, or because they can afford a top notch lawyer and you can't. So I think it does make sense to be cautious ...depending on the circumstances, of course. Again, if you're talking about a well-known fact, you're fine. If you're discussing something that only you know, or only a couple of people know, it's a good idea to proceed with care.

19. deadrats

I've been threatened with lawsuits many times, but no one has actually ever taken me to court. And none of that work was self published so I have the publishers lawyers if needed. But I honestly worry about other things like deadlines a lot more than I do this sort of thing. And you know the nonfiction I'm writing and publishing now. It's all personal stuff. I go through a ton of edits and I know at least two people at my publishers read my essays before they are published. I'm sure they would let me know if there was anything to worry about. I know my publisher wants me to write about something that will make someone look really bad and there is no way to hide who this person is. But it is all true. My publisher hasn't mentioned once any trouble I could get into. I don't know. When writing anything for publication there are usually other people heavily involved like editor and fact checkers. Sometimes the ugly truth is needed in writing. But, @jannert, you've seen my approach to creative nonfiction and I do have the backing of a publisher.

Actually, I would love to talk to you over private message or email about the one I'm having some trouble with. I'm not worried about anything legally, but this is my life and I am putting it out there in a way I never thought I would. It does make me feel exposed. I do have to think about what's too personal and what I want to keep private. Those are bigger issues for me. Let me know if you've got some time for me to run something by you. I don't need you to read anything, but I would like your thoughts on if I should write something or not. I think these are the bigger problems facing an essayist.

jannert likes this.
  20. jannert

PM me or email me any time you like. I've always got time for you. You know that. :)

deadrats likes this.
  21. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

You and me both. If you've found a method to alleviate the feeling of walking naked through a Black Friday mall crowd please share.

ETA: I'm well hidden at the moment but if I ever do anything with this, all hell is going to break loose. Can't decide whether I'm willing to take the risk. Right now I'm just focused on getting it on paper, so to speak.

22. deadrats

@Mary Elise -- We should chat over message.

23. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

@deadrats I just tried to send one. Did it make it?

deadrats likes this.
  24. deadrats

@Mary Elise -- I sent you two messages. Sorry if they're kind of long.

Mary Elise likes this.
  25. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I took a Creative Nonfiction class and it was my favorite throughout school. I continued with creative nonfiction for a while (privately) but eventually parted ways. I cannot imagine my family reading anything I wrote. I'm cringing to the point of seizures just thinking about what I detailed. Simple things I find terribly private, and also intimate things very few want their parents to read about. If I were to ever entertain writing creative nonfiction with the intention to publish, I'd have to take a further step back. More Bill Bryson than Tropic of Cancer. I don't mind a small class of strangers reading about my emotional distaste at having my boyfriend's sweat drip on my face while humping...but I'd throw up if it was published. I'd throw up hard.

I find it interesting to hear about the backlash after publishing. Do you think being a creative nonfiction writer has effected how you interact with others? Also, have you ever begged family members not to read particular things? Haha.

Mary Elise likes this.