1. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I wonder if I should feel some remorse . . .

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NaCl, Jul 26, 2008.

. . . but I don't.

I bought a mini Dachshund for my wife on her last birthday. Even though he was tiny and seemed quite sweet, she gave him a tough name, Axel. It just didn't fit this little guy who is so subservient that he piddles when you pet him. (BTW - in tournament bass fishing, a "dink" is a fish that is too small to add to your catch for the total weight.) I started calling him "Dink" and he loved the name, responding to it every time. Yes, my wife complained that I hijacked her dog . . . damn thing follows me everywhere, sleeps at my feet and climbs up in my lap when I sit to read a book.

Now, I don't feel guilty for "stealing" her dog. It wasn't intentional and I'm sure as hell not going to be mean to the little fella to drive him back to her. But, here's what I feel a little bad about - remember above when I said he piddles when greeted? Well, the little sh** pissed on my new wingtip shoes this morning! I just told him I was happy to see him and he immediately let loose with a yellow stream all over the small holes in the toe of my right shoe.

Here comes the remorse-thing. I got mad so I intentionally raised my level of loving comments. I knew what would happen. Dink wagged his tail and rolled onto his back, just as he always does when responding to affection. The stage was set! I raised my voice and let out with a long stream of praise, and you guessed it, he pissed all over his own face!

Shame on me. (sigh)

ps If you are interested, you can see a picture of Dink in my public profile.

2. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

That is the funniest I thing I've heard all day... that is true genius....

3. lessa

lessa New Member

I wouldn't feel remorse, well maybe a bit if I didn't have a video camera film of the event.
    sure paints a funny picture.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can see it now!... a hilarious turn on the standard baby boy pisser hitting dad in the kisser at didie-changing time...

on the bright side, if you do that often enough, it just might cure his involuntary emissions problem!

5. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Excuse me, but I would just like to offer the opinion that eww.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

NaCl that sounds so funny. We had a little Silky Terrier that was the same. She never got out of the habit, but then we found out that she actually had bladder problems. Such a dear little thing she was. But it really does sound funny.

7. cargirl86

cargirl86 New Member

... have you thought that this dog might have a medical issue? Or maybe needs a different method of house training?

I've had dogs of all sizes and personalities, and not once did they urinate everywhere just by getting patted on the head.

8. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Dink is seen by our vet on a regular basis. She says piddle-greeting is common in puppies of some breeds and he will outgrow it. In the meantime, I keep extra polish on my shoes! LOL

BTW - after he pee'd in his own face, I gave him a complete bath using only the mild puppy soap recommended by our vet. If anything, he's spoiled.

9. PipeandPen

PipeandPen New Member

+1

I haven't heard of the term dink; I've always heard slick (same definition, though).

10. gigantes

gigantes Banned

urine is sterile on emission so your prank was completely harmless. it's actually good for skin health also, so if anything you helped him. good job on the prank, tho. :)

11. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

o_O

That's certainly...different.

I feel kind of bad because the cat I got from the shelter some years ago, he seems to have taken on my avoidant tendencies. He seemed affectionate and friendly enough when we got him. He still is, but he's also scared to death of just about ANYTHING, especially strangers, except for me. He's terrified of change--he'll notice if a bottle of shampoo has been moved two inches to the right, for example, and will creep up to it fearfully. Bubbles and humming and doorbells scare him (he thinks bubbles are the work of the devil, I guess), and he doesn't recognize my parents or anyone else but me out of context--that is, I can go outside with him and he'll be fine, but if he sees one of my parents outside (even though he lives with them every day!), he'll run and hide, not seeming to realize who they are! And he runs and hides whenever other people appear, too. But when I freak out or scream in rage about something, he too freaks out and stomps out to chomp on my leg and distract me. I can't help but feel he got all this from me. I wanted him to be so outgoing, too, but I guess he's in my company far too much. *sigh*