Tags:
  1. disasterspark

disasterspark Active Member

How would a Correctional Officer react to this situation?

Discussion in 'Research' started by disasterspark, Apr 18, 2019.

MC and his friend are both inmates in a prison where the correctional officer, or CO is at. MC is generally a good person while his friend is a bit more neutral. CO is actually a girl, but she has bionic limbs that make her stronger than the male inmates. But her one weakness is water. If water, or other liquids get on those limbs they short circuit and can't be used.

One day, a prison riot happens and all hell breaks loose. An inmate pours a huge bucket of water on her, short circuiting all of her limbs and leaving her helpless. All she can really do is crawl like Anakin Skywalker in Episode 3 right at the end.

At the same time, MC and his friend try to escape from jail. MC sees CO on the ground, picks her up, and carries her to the escape vehicle where they try to repair her limbs himself or take her to a Bioengineering facility to have them repaired or upgraded to be liquidproof.

How would she react to all this? If the MC's muscles were big enough, could she fall in love with him?

John-Wayne likes this.
  2. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Ask Stormsong07, I think she works in the trade.

John-Wayne likes this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

They also tend to keep men and women segregated regardless of relative strength because having women around convicted rapists is generally not a good idea. From discussions with people that have been involved in riots, the first thing that will happen is the riot alarm will sound. At this point smart inmates will grab a towel an soak it with water because the next thing the guards will do is turn off the water and power to the cells. Next will come tear gas, and the best way to deal with that if you don't have a gas mask is by wrapping a wet towel around your head. Then as an inmate you'd probably want to hunker under your mattress, because the riot gear comes out, shields up, and shooting bean bags at anyone that's not already locked up. I doubt they'd worry about taking anyone to medical until after everything's been secured.

John-Wayne likes this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yup, paging @Stormsong07, something in your area of expertise.

Cave Troll and John-Wayne like this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Pretty much anyone can fall in love (whatever that actually means...) with anyone else. Humans are like that. We are fundamentally programmed to make more humans which starts with physical attraction to other humans (and, yes, it's the same fundamental programming if the object of attraction is the same gender)

I worked as a teacher in a prison for male "young" offenders; they were aged 18-21 and certainly not there for childish crimes but the (lady) governor had a (maternal) love for all of them.

I know that it's called "Stockholm syndrome" when a prisoner falls for his or her captor, presumably there is a syndrome for the other way round.

ETA - Lima syndrome. Google is my friend...

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  6. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

I suppose that would depend on how much the CO values her job and the work she does. A professional CO who is dedicated to the job will always, always, know there is a line that just isn’t crossed. Ever. Even if that inmate just saved their life. Plus, if she falls for the inmate and then helps them in their escape attempt, then she will face charges if they are recaptured. So it would depend on what kind of morals your character has, and whether she thinks it’s worth it to risk everything for love.
    But what do the size of MCs muscles have to do with this?

And yes, I am a CO. A female CO who works with male and female inmates. I personally would never cross that line, bc once that line is crossed, there is no going back. If the inmates know you have a soft spot for one of them, you will lose all respect, all power, and open yourself to blackmail opportunities. I value my job and my profession enough to never even consider it.

7. NobodySpecial

Nothing like going straight to an expert.

Alan Aspie and John-Wayne like this.
  8. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

A few nit picks, from your local pain in the ass. :p .

Sorry, I take a bit of issue with this. A girl is under the age, you mean woman or at least Female Correctional officer. The only thing a girl or boy for tha matter would be an officer in would be a Hall monitor. :p .

As a correctional officer, why wouldn't her limbs already be waterproof, also most of that stuff is encased in metal shells as it is. But a Bionic limbed Correctional Officer does sound cool.

Wouldn't it have been better to drag her to safety, where her co-workers could find her and take her to receive aid? I mean he is putting her more at risk, where I would assume the Prison would have the facilities to help her. Why is this dude doing this, good intentions or not, he maybe doing more harm.

This is Stormsong07's territory and has already explained this. I've only just gotten into the game as a Security Officer, got a pretty sweet post at the moment. so Thankfully I don't have to worry about this. But, I would assume she would be hostile and assume she got kidnapped. May tri to arrest them or demanded to be released. I'm a dude, so I can't fully say for sure, but I think male or female the reaction would pretty much be the same.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  9. disasterspark

That was just a joke :p

The idea for the limbs was that her dad was abusive. So one day he decided to chop off her limbs and replace them with bionic limbs that he could easily shortcircuit by pouring a bucket of water on her, leaving her defenseless. And those types of limbs that weren't water proof were all she could afford.

10. NobodySpecial

Abusive is one thing- it generally encompasses things like mental or emotional cruelty, or physical abuse like hitting/ striking or causing some sort of injury, but amputation isn’t on the usual lists. If her father cut off her arms, that sounds more like Dad is a sadist. I think you might find some decent subplot milage by exploring the why of Dad’s nature and how it figures into the now of her nature.

11. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

As a former Prison Officer, I can only echo everything @Stormsong07 has already said. They are lines you just do not cross and while I generally had a good working relationship with the inmates on my landings the boundaries between Officer and Prisoner were always up.

Also, while the bionic limbs sound cool, are they not a bit useless if you only need to get water on them to completely disable them? Quite a big risk in a prison considering a favourite party trick is to throw urine at Officer's they don't like.

12. disasterspark

Perhaps a whole gang quickly injures her instead?

Stormsong07 and John-Wayne like this.
  13. Stormsong07

Right? Or water, or juice...I had a cup of juice thrown on me when they decided they didn’t want it with their meal....or mop water, or spit, or that thing you get when you take the p in spit and replace it with an h....

Cave Troll and John-Wayne like this.
  14. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Don't forget the fecal matter

15. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Not water proof you say...
    Long Latex Gloves.jpg Perhaps some water proofing protection is in order. :superagree:

16. Stormsong07

Been thinking about this a bit more.
    If I were injured at work and rescued by an inmate, even if it was one of the ones who seems decent and I'm friendlier with, I would be vastly uncomfortable being essentially at his mercy.
    All my guards would be up, I'd be hyper aware of how vulnerable I was. I absolutely would not be comfortable with the inmate trying to "fix" me himself. I would repeatedly tell him to take me to my sergeant or any other CO or responding law enforcement. I would most definitely NOT want to go anywhere with him. My anxiety would be through the roof, and I would probably get angry if he refused to get me proper help. It would feel like a hostage situation to me.

17. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

That said all sorts of unbelievable shiz happens in fiction - look how many times Jack Reacher starts the book being arrested but winds up helping the police investigate

If its plot essential don't let the fact that it would NEVER happen in real life stop you from doing it

(tim willocks - green river rising ... covers a jail riot where one of the COs winds up working with some of the inmates... its all bollocks of course, but it doesn't stop it being a good book)

18. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

Or when they're really upset and start smearing their fecal matter on the cell walls. Good times.

John-Wayne likes this.
  19. Maggie May

Maggie May Active Member

My first instinct based upon the story line, he's kidnapping her sort of. I'd put a real bad guy heading her way his intent is to destroy/ rape and hill. Your MC is saving her but is thinking they can use her for negotiation with (?) prison warden/government.....He was falsely charged and in prison. During their time together, she learns he was set up, he's not a bad guy, maybe her own father set him up. They fall in love........and live happily ever after. Maybe.

John-Wayne likes this.