1. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

Any good writing software for Raspbian?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by LazyBear, Mar 29, 2018.

I've been writing on my Raspberry PI 3B for some time, and it's a lot more distraction free than using Windows, but all the popular writing tools I keep hearing about aren't even aware of the operating system (Raspbian) nor web browser (nameless) on my writing computer.

I'm currently pasting 2 lines at a time into a "try it" page for a free grammar software which I cannot install on Raspbian. This is quite time consuming, but the slimmed down version of Libre office that comes with Raspbian cannot be upgraded to allow grammar plugins, nor download the english wordlist.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Sure...it's a spin on Debian, right? Anything you can run on Debian-based systems should work. I know people have put Libre Office on Raspberry Pis. Also, there is a free, community-driven version of Scrivener for linux. You can find .deb files for it, and it works though I don't think it has been updated in a while. For lighter-weight fare, you can use FocusWriter or Abiword. Or you can always use Google docs in a browser.

3. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

It's Debian, but made for ARM processors, so everything has to run on Java or be specifically compiled for the same type of CPU that Android phones use (ARM).

Google's services have custom versions for every operating system, so none of it will work in the browser.

Raspbian comes with a special version of Libre Office, but it cannot be upgraded to allow modern plugins, and the system for installing wordlists is broken.

4. Steerpike

Do you have to run Raspian. I thought I saw, some time ago (and I'm by no means an expert in this) people were running versions of Ubuntu on Raspberry Pis and installing software from the Ubuntu repos. Does that not work?

5. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

At work, I tried using Mate on a Pine64 computer, but it's really sluggish by not being optimized for the limited processing power on a 5 volt computer.

Steerpike likes this.
  6. Steerpike

I see. I don’t know then. But if you discover something useful for writing that will run well I’d be interested in hearing about it.

7. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

Okay, thanks anyway for trying.

8. Steerpike

No problem. Wish I was more help. I run Mint and Manjaro on a couple of old laptops, but I'm not enough of an expert in Linux to know what might be out there to help you.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Fedora has an ARM version I believe , as does Kali (the latter is likely to be less useful for your needs), and I think FreeBSD runs fine on a pi ( bsd isn't really Linux, but its a unix operating system and can run most Linux software). Ive used a lot of Linux boxes but the Pi thing has pretty much passed me by so I'm only going from what I've read/heard

10. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I'm a Linux user, but I've never worked with the Pi nor its operating system. If I'm not mistaken, you might have wordprocessing available in the terminal, perhaps the Nano text editor?

11. kriti

kriti New Member

LibreOffice is one of the good writing software for working in Raspbian

12. nycoma

nycoma Active Member

what do all these words mean?

13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Raspberry Pi is a teeny little computer - originally intended for use in developing economies, and get people interested in coding, but increasingly used for other uses

Rasbian , is an adaptation of the Debian operating system to run on a Raspberry Pi

Linux is a family of operating systems which are open source and generally free (ubuntu, mint, kali etc are types of Linux operating system) . Linux runs very small so its good on low spec machines

ARM is a type of chip used in the Pi (and other small machines)

Libre Office is an open source competitor for Microsoft office which is widely used on Linux systems (although also available for windows and Mac)

Scriv/Scrivener is a software package for writers - it is available on windows and mac but also has an open source variant that runs on linux

nycoma likes this.
  14. nycoma

nycoma Active Member

ok, so you guys are writing on raspberry's and linux, etc?

15. big soft moose

Well i'm not (not a raspberry anyway - one of my machines is an old laptop running ubuntu, but I mostly write on Mac) - but you can - writing is a low memory/processor task so you can write on practically anything

nycoma likes this.
  16. nycoma

nycoma Active Member

thanks for clearing that up.
    - slightly off topic but, how do you back up your writing? can i transfer mine from Write!/MSWord, onto a flash drive?

17. big soft moose

yeah I back up to a thumb drive too - some people use the cloud , or a networked hard drive

18. HarryJackson

HarryJackson Banned

Nice article