1. karma

karma New Member

Autobiographical elements in writings

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by karma, Apr 7, 2021.

Everybody can be a writer since everyone goes through diverse experiences in his life. What I write is mostly about myself and my perceptions about the world I am living in, and no matter what I do I cannot go beyond these peripherals. In the span of life, long or short , one goes through different psychological or social upheavals. If he can cash in on this wealth of experiences he can come up with wonderful poetry and stories. The difference if there is any between the writer and the rest is the former can find words to shape his imagination or experience and the rest lacking this special skill gets lost.

As writers you guys too draw on your varied experiences.

Bruce Johnson likes this.
  2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I write complete alien science fiction in a universe somewhat different from ours. But yes, I do draw from my experiences sometimes, if that is what you were asking?

Using your own experiences can help give a personal touch to your stories, I think. Other than that, since my universe is so foreign to this world, I have to make up a lot and put myself into the mindset of what is basically an alien and how they respond to different events and actions, which can be difficult.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm going to be honest but I found that second to last sentence very difficult to understand. Did you transposed some words?

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You can and you must. Good writers drill down into their personal experiences and find the universal, that everyone can relate to. If you're just saying that the only way to the universal is through the personal, I agree. Even if you're writing about a character completely unlike yourself, the motivations and the struggles are still based on templates you've experienced many times.