How Lethal Are Jungles?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Killer300, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Sargon of Akkad

Sargon of Akkad New Member

Jungles are not all that lethal. There is plenty of food and water - generally jungles require large volumes of water to sustain them (such as a great river like the Amazon or Congo), and they are teeming with life.

Assuming the character doesn't get struck down by malaria, jungles are quite survivable. Jungles don't have that many predators in them capable of eating an adult human - snakes aren't going to try and eat a human (unless they're anaconda-sized), most big cats live on the plains, and crocodiles only live in or directly around water.

There are going to be countless numbers of insects and rodents that a character could catch and eat, along with a multitude of fruit-bearing plants or other vegetables.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a picnic, but jungles aren't just a deathtrap filled with buzz-saw-toothed hyenadons and acidic man-eating flytraps.

2. Michael O

Michael O Member

Rare? Really? And where might I ask do all living creature in the water go to die? And where do the animals living close to the water die? As for you drinking from streams and rivers, some people who play Russian Roulette survive....until they don't. No flowing water in the world is without giardia. If you drink it for survival without taking steps to get it clean enough, you die of dehydration. You're too sick to purify it now. Death is just a few dominoes down the line.

Funny thing about stagnant water. Some in the Okefenokee Swamp is okay to drink. It's brown in color due to the tanic acid from leaves. The acid takes the pH too low for bacteria to survive.

Don't think you should tell kids who think watching Reality TV is research and its okay to drink flowing water because it's not. They may one day see a beautiful flowing body of water and think, "Clean enough to drink! Read it on the Internet!" And an hour later brown water is flowing out their arse.

3. Michael O

Michael O Member

Yeah baby! Now you're talking! Frigging monkey stew and a side dish of toasted testicles! Mighty fine eating!

4. Nee

Nee Member

I just have to say that, if I were dropped into a jungle with any of you...I'd ditch your asses as soon as you were looking the other way. Because I have been in situations in the wilderness where things got ugly (a number of times) and I am so tired of opinionated people (who have no idea what kind of trouble they are actually in) standing around arguing over what to do when doing anything is basically better than letting time slip away trying to decide who's idea is better than who's.

Here's the truth whether you want to hear it or not: you've got three days to either get out or better your circumstances or die.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

three days in any part of any jungle anywhere on the planet?... 'the truth' according to what jungle survival experts?

btw, would someone [else] making that statement fit your definition of 'opinionated'? ;)

6. Nee

Nee Member

Yes my statement is opinionated. But then, it was acquired from a number of actual wilderness calamities where what is mostly going on here is whirlwind of narcissistic speculation and one upmanship.

But wait...now you are going to tell me that you are a wildness survivalist, right?

7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

This is both ignorant and absurd. There's no point explaining why.