Novel How long does it take for you to write a novel?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by FirstTimeNovelist91, Jul 19, 2012.

1. GillySoose

GillySoose New Member

Forever and a half. God knows that's how long it feels :p

With any luck I'll be done with it within the year, though I can probably do it faster if I applied myself fully.

2. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

It varies. I wrote Pawn in less than two months including revisions and editing, and I think its good. Maverick took years and years, and some of my others are still in the process eighteen years on.

But Michael Moorcock went through a phase where he was writin a book every few days, the Champion Eternal series, and I have most of the thirty or so and enjoy them.

Cheers, Greg.

3. Benjamin Harris

Benjamin Harris New Member

Well it took Tolkien 18 years to write Lord of the Rings and Terry Pratchett writes 2 books a year (on average) so it really depends.

4. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Theorically I can write 30,000 words per month -- or more -- so I could finish a first draft in three months, and since I edit as I go, I might only take another month or two to revise everything and finish the polishing.

That's theory, of course.

5. kingzilla

kingzilla Member

It varies. George R. R. Martin can take almost 3-6 years for his Song of Ice and Fire books. Other authors who write YA books or Romance pump out two novels a year sometimes. I have to believe it takes most authors three-four months writing and however long it takes to revise. I think the ultimate skill that pro authors have is an ability to know when a book is at its best. They also capitalize on the time they have. Thus, they write quicker.
    For amatuers, myself have pumped out two complete drafts, three months each. But the revising has been hell.

6. Christopher Snape.

Christopher Snape. Member

Last year, I composed a 60-page story in Microsoft Word in 31 hours. I was doing it for an extensive school project, and as such had to record the hours spent.

While I think I did incredibly well considering the time, I didn't take planning into account, and made the plot up as I went along. If I had planned adequately, tweaked pacing and improved character development and involvement, it would have probably taken several months. Of course, this is just from my point of view.