1. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Some words of encouragement for everyone

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by captain kate, Aug 17, 2009.

I was thinking today about the idea of "winners vs losers" and some thoughts came to mind: just because most of us haven't been published doesn't mean we're losers, incapable, etc etc..it's only when you give up the effort that someone could put that tag on you.

Not to bring up a theological debate but the thoughts took me back to some time at Liberty University when I was younger. The first convocation speech of each semester by Jerry Falwell (in this case I'm only mentioning him b/c of what the message was not for a theological debate0 was: "don't quit...just go a little farther."

In the context of writing, don't ever quit, just go a little farther everyday...

Never quit and keep writing everyone! :D

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Thank you for posting this, Kate. I agree completely.

I have not yet published any fiction or poetry. It;s only been in the last year or two that I have even begun to think in those terms. I'm still learning, and although I now have a couple of novels in development, I simply haven't written anything with publication in mind. It's very unlikely to get published if you have never submitted. :)

But I will publish.

3. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Unpublished has nothing to do with winner or loser. Look at the shelves of your local bookstore or library. Every author represented there has one thing in common. They all started out as unpublished. I've never heard of any infant being born with a completed manuscript in one hand and a publishing contract in the other.

Unpublished is just a starting point. You decide where you go from there.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

wm faulkner got something like 99 rejections, before he got his first taker... could anyone consider him a 'loser' up to that point!??

5. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

A rhetorical question, I know, but I'll still say that Faulkner is not only a winner but a hero. Persisting, despite overwhelming odds that would make most people give up, is what defines a real winner.

So every time you return to your story and write, despite the inner demon saying "you're never gonna be published", then you're a winner already.

6. murphcas

murphcas New Member

i agree with all this! Thanks for posting and boosting everyone's confidence!

7. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

Thanks for the advice, i have to admit there are times when i do feel like packing it all in but a site like this really helps, i think its good to mix with fellow writers and even if we never get published at least we can enjoy the ride.

8. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

Thank you, I needed this!

It's not so much not being published that's my issue; I'm just not confident in my work. But I know that the only way to improve is to keep writing every day and reading all that I can.

We'll all make it if we're determined to. :)

9. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

'One and one. They are both parts of a number, the two sides to a story. But could you tell if they changed places? As they are extremes, only extremes can tell; and that is why you need us.'

Weirdest quote I've ever heard, but it's true. If something is true, does it really matter who says it? I agree with the OP, even if he got his point across through the words of another person who you don't agree with.