1. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

How long is the wait after sending the full manuscript?

Discussion in 'Query & Cover Letter Critique' started by malaupp, Oct 25, 2017.

Let me preface this by saying that I have an anxious personality, so I am fully aware that I might be jumping the gun here.

I've been querying for awhile and I was wondering about the average wait time for reponses. There are a ton of articles on the average wait time between query and response, or talk about how they wouldn't respond at all, so I accepted that.

But I'm currently waiting on a reply from an agent that asked to see the full manuscript. She responded to the query 3 days after I sent it (which I understand is incredibly quick for the publishing field). Then emailed two days after I sent the full thing to reply that she'd received it. It's been a week since then. I know reading a query letter is much faster than a manuscript and requires a much less critical eye. But I'm wondering what the average wait time is for this part of the process. She was the first agent I sent this particular manuscript to (after getting nothing but rejections or radio silence on another). I feel what we look for in literature matches up really well, judging by her bio, so I'd rather not shop around for another agent until I can be reasonably sure I'll need to.

So really there are 2 questions here.

1. How long should I expect to wait for a response?
    2. Is there a chance that I won't receive a response at all?

Again, I know a week of waiting for a response from an agent isn't that long, given industry standard. And I am happy to have had any agent ask for the full manuscript in the first place, it's a huge step for me. But right now I'm checking my email with frequency that can only be called obsessive. So having someone else chime in on the subject just might soothe my nerves.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think it's considered bad form to not respond at all, once you've requested a full, but that doesn't mean that absolutely no agents would commit the faux pas.

In terms of how long? It can be really fast, but it isn't out of the question for it to take months, either.

If you look up your agent at querytracker or a similar website there is often information about how long it took for other authors to get responses. That might help?

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

Oh wow, Querytracker looks awesome. Unfortunately, no one's really commented on any time between full request and an offer of representation for that particularly agent.

But that's a great resource.

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

AgentQuery.com does a similiar thing, so you might want to check there. And if it's a larger agency, the AW Bewares and Background Checks pages might help.

Shenanigator likes this.
  5. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

How did I not know all of these pages existed? 0.o

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out. However, I do know that she very recently switched agencies, so it may be that there's just not a lot of data to be had at this point.

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    It varies, but on the long end 9months. (This is based on publishers more than agents, just assume they take just as long).

I bet they would send you something. Here is hoping they send good news. :)

7. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

The shortest time I had to wait when I sent my full manuscript to agents was twelve days (although rejecting it that quickly they may not have read the full thing, so perhaps a longer wait time is better in some cases).

The longest was eight months - having sent the full manuscript to about eight agents (out of perhaps 30 that I sent my query letter and samples too) I’d say the average was about six weeks to two months. But obviously it’s different for all of them.

Hope this helps, and I hope you hear some good news soon!

8. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

Thanks! Me too. Twelve-year-old me would lose her mind to be a published author. xD

I never thought of it that way. But I guess it would take more to really think through how to market a manuscript, so the longer time might actually be a good sign.

I'm currently sitting at 3 weeks, so the 6 to 8 week period definitely makes that feel smaller.

Did you query to all 30 of those agents before receiving requests for the full manuscript? Or did you continue sending out letters even after receiving a request? I like the look of this agent, so I'd rather not move on (or make some sort of major industry faux pas) but I also don't want to be waiting for weeks, only to have it fall through and start at the beginning with queries again.

9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Six months is standard for a full manuscript but, as others have said, it can take longer.

Yes. I think I sent 12 fulls out and one of those agents didn't respond at all, even though she confirmed she'd received it.

I think the fastest response I had on a full was a month. But a friend of mine is querying at the moment and she had a reply to a full in three days.

Try not to read into any of this. It's not like brilliant manuscripts get read quickly and crappy ones sit in a pile - it all depends on the agent's schedule, not on your manuscript.

Keep querying. The vast majority of fulls are rejected and there's no benefit to you to wait for a response before sending out new queries. Unless the agent with your full has asked for an exclusive (which is rare), she will expect you to still be querying others.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    BayView likes this.
  10. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

I sent mine out to as many as I could all at once with the thinking that, if I even received any offers, I could always say no to any that I didn’t want and go for the best option. While you might be dead set on a particular agent, it’s best to submit to a whole load and assume the worst. If you do get rejected - not saying you will - it’s going to be a long wait if you keep doing it like this, one at a time. Your agent won’t know that you’ve sent it to others unless you tell him/her - and they’ll probably expect that you have anyway.