1. JadeX

JadeX Senior Member

Novel How long is "too long" for a chapter?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by JadeX, Feb 5, 2021.

I've written up an outline for a chapter I'm about to write, but comparing it to my other chapter outlines, this one seems like it will be a lot more complex and longer. I don't know if this is because this outline is more detailed, or what. But, just looking at it, I would guess the chapter may approach 7K to 10K words.

My first chapter was just over 4K and my second chapter was just over 5K, which are generally considered to be decent lengths. There isn't really a way to split it, as it's essentially one long scene (I can feel the eyebrows raising as I type that, but trust me, it makes more sense in context). So I'm really worried that this next chapter may end up being too long - or worse, that I may have to cut some stuff (which would negatively affect the pacing).

2. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

I generally prefer chapters that can be read in one sitting. That is (usually) the intended "meta" purpose of a chapter. Thus my preference is 2k to 4k words per chapter.

It's not an issue if you've longer chapters; just make sure you use breaks within the chapter. Like scene / POV separators. Those work for "reading pause" as well.

3. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

It's really up to you. There are authors who write long chapters. If you look at The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle, he had a chapter that topped 23k words. Dune, by Frank Herbert had chapters in the 10k range. I try to keep mine between 3-4k, but that's a stylistic choice and no one has ever complained.

4. Thomas Larmore

Thomas Larmore Senior Member

I keep scenes to less than 1000 words but I have no hard and fast rule on the number of scenes in a chapter.

5. SofiaMatias

SofiaMatias New Member

I'm also in the field of liking chapters that can be read in one sitting, so I've been trying to keep the chapters in my current project under 4-5k.

Fiender_ likes this.
  6. Fiender_

Fiender_ Active Member

As long as you have scene breaks at reasonable intervals, I think chapter length is kind of a secondary concern. Just be sure to give readers the chance for a break every now and again.

For my own personal tastes, I try not to have my chapters vary wildly in length. It's totally arbitrary but I like making sure my shortest chapter isn't less than half the length of my longest chapter. I like how it feels when things are orderly like that.
    Of course, all of that tends to fall to the wayside in revisions when some things get trimmed and others get expanded. :p

Homer Potvin likes this.
  7. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

7k actually, is what I would consider very near too long and I'd try to break it up or slightly shorten if possible. 2k is a short chapter. 5k is a long one. 7k is starting to be massive but then again, I'd leave it be if it couldn't be broken up. If it's one long intense thing then it is what it is. Every chapter in the book at that length sounds tedious though but I suppose that depends on the genre.

JadeX likes this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Seconded. That's everything for me. Let me read at my own pace, take a leak, get a beer, check my phone, feel like I'm accomplishing something. When I see page after page after page of unbroken text (most 19th Century novels) I feel like I'm shoveling three feet of snow with a tea spoon. It's like, better start somewhere... you got a loooong job ahead of you.

9. JadeX

JadeX Senior Member

I'm wrapping up the chapter I asked about now, and it turns out my outline was just a lot more detailed this time, it's ironically my shortest chapter yet at just over 3200, lol. While I was writing I was actually starting to worry it could be too short!

Thanks for the feedback on this question, though. I'll definitely keep it in mind for later chapters which will be more complex. I'll keep 7K as a max cap.

10. Senko

Senko Member

For me, chapters around 3k are just fine. DonĀ“t ask me why, but usually, in a novel, I prefer reading chapters that are not too long.

11. Forest

Forest Banned

Good question. After all, too long is bad, but short is also bad. It seems , that it all depends on whether the writer has revealed the idea or not. A chapter can be compared to a sculpture, from which you need to cut off all unnecessary and get the ideal. But if you have any difficulties with that, You can ask here

(Link deleted by mod)

(Member banned for linking to academic service)

(Uncle Homer don't play that)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2021