1. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

Short Story Have I written a novella?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Nightstar99, Jun 16, 2014.

Hello forum.

I started writing a short story last year but got stuck on it and spent the rest of the time since then concentrating on my book. But then inspiration struck the other day and I have almost finished it.

Will probably be about 18,000 words though I could pad it out a bit to make it up to 20. Long enough for a novella?

I am not expecting to change the world it would just be lovely to get something that I've actually finished 'out there' in some form or another, for once.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

A novella is not just a short story writ long. Typically, a novella features more complicated conflicts because they have more time to develop, and usually deals with the attainment of a particular goal on the part of the protag. Some of my favorite novellas are Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea, London's The Call of the Wild, Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Michener's The Bridges at Toko-Ri.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

20k words is a novella. That's just my opinion because different people have different definitions of a novella. The word count isn't set in stone.

4. Nightstar99

Good point.

5. AJC

AJC Active Member

From what I understand from reading the discussions here, it's tough to sell a novella because people prefer novels. I could be wrong about this, however.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

There are a number of small publishers, mainly e-book only, that publish novellas, especially in genres such as romance and erotica (but not exclusively). Some bundle several novellas into a print book, but that's more rare. Larger publishing houses tend not to go for novella-length works, except with some of their established authors.

There is always self-publishing a novella, and that may be a better option than going with some of the small publishers who don't provide much in the way of editing, cover art, marketing, etc.

Some magazines and ezines do accept novellas, but in a limited number as compared to short stories. The same with anthologies, which tend not to pay very well (as they don't usually sell well--unless there are one or more known/reader-recognized authors included).

AJC likes this.
  7. Nightstar99

It didnt take me long to write as I write pretty quickly. Dont know if I have time to tackle self publishing just now so might save it for family and friends until I have finished my book.

8. Nightstar99

Well, I just this moment finished the first draft of it. 29,000 words. It was meant to be a short story. I just cant seem to write anything short. I cannot imagine when I will finish my book.

Still feels good to finally complete something. I will sent it to my wife's kindle, then I will feel like I am in print! Even if she is my only reader.

9. Nightstar99

10. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

29K is an okay Novella length. Why not look at having it professionally edited, and formatted for e-publishing. Then you can have something solid 'out there' before your novel is launched.

Later, you can offer the novella for free download, and at the end of it provide a link to your new book (assuming it is self published) which can be bought. That way, you will get feedback on the novella, which might help you with your WIP.

Provide it for free as a teaser, and see if anyone bites. Then launch the hell out of the new book when ready.

Nightstar99 likes this.
  11. Nightstar99

Thanks, sounds like a plan actually.

12. Mike Kobernus

I think so. That is what I hope to do this year. I also have a little book. My concern is that my novelette is NOTHING like my novel. Totally different subject matter, style, and so on. So they really do not relate. Ho hum....

13. Nightstar99

Mine isn't much like my book either, though the style isn't too dissimilar. A lot of the things I imagine are liked at some level or another. My ambition is to have most of my work to connect in some nodular way.

14. Mike Kobernus

Yes, I would also like to see a thematic linkage, but there simply is none for my first two publications.

I don't suppose it matters any. I shall publish the little one if it is up to scratch after the editor is done with it.

15. Nightstar99

Unless there is a professional editor willing to work for some kind of barter system, mine will not be being edited profesionally.

16. Mike Kobernus

I know what you mean. Mine has agreed to a monthly payment. :)