How long to recover from a stab wound?

Discussion in 'Research' started by obi-sem kenobi, Dec 21, 2015.

1. CGB

CGB Active Member

This is what you said:

This statement is 100% wrong.
    This statement makes no sense.
    This statement is 100% inaccurate in the real world of medicine (of which I actually work everyday).
    A splint (I explained what this is in a previous post but you didn't understand or didn't read) is not relevant to a superficial stab wound to the upper extremity that doesn't actually damage any nerves or blood vessels (a blood vessel is an artery or vein). Damaged muscles may or may not be sutured, and they may or may not be immobilized (but very unlikely with a traditional splint and 100% not with a cast, like you said). Why? Swelling. Hemarthrosis. Compartment syndrome.

These are basic concepts that any registered nurse or paramedic would understand.

So... yeah...

Just because you google "splint" and "wound" and then paste some completely irrelevant article (which you didn't read or even understand) doesn't mean you are "right" about anything.

Everything I said in this thread is 100% accurate.

Here is a good lay person's guide to the basics of wound repair and healing:

Wound Care Made Incredibly Easy! (Incredibly Easy! SeriesĀ®)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Lay person? :superlaugh:

You really are embarrassing yourself. You should quit before your foot gets any further into your mouth.

3. obi-sem kenobi

obi-sem kenobi Senior Member

Well, I am a lay person, and apparently the sense wasn't common enough for me. :)
    Look, I'm no medical student, so this has been very educational for me, but I am a language student, so I know when a discussion starts to steer away from professional opinion to semantics.
    When I phrased my question the first time, I was very vague about the type of wound, so GingerCoffe reacted with a wide variety of possibilities. One of them (the specific use of a splint or case) seems to have caused some confusion. That is fine, that could be caused by any number of things. However, you should remember that it is not actually a person's life or wellbeing on the line here, only the realism of a piece of fiction.
    Teaching each other new things is awesome and having a friendly discussion about a specific treatment can be fun, but when you start calling each other names it means the fun is off for both parties and you should consider how important it is that this other person you really don't know so well is wrong in this particular situation.
    Professional pride can be a good thing, especially if someone's life is in your hands, but it can also be misplaced. This is one of the latter cases.

I suggest you shake hands and agree to disagree. :):friend:

Shadowfax, T.Trian and KaTrian like this.
  4. GingerCoffee

I do believe I tried that.
    When people post bad medical information, I think it's important to post the correct information. It may not matter when the discussion is about a fictional rendition of a medical issue, but accuracy is still important. I teach evidence based medicine and I spend some of my time addressing mistaken medical beliefs such as the false beliefs that vaccines are harmful.

If @CGB is who he says he is, then he's gotten off on the wrong foot as a medical student. When confronted by supporting medical literature that contradicts one's assertions, you address the literature. Trying to insult your way out of a corner is a common tactic of attacking the arguer because you cannot address the argument.

It's interesting that a banned member of this community used to use a similar tactic when challenged, claiming that it was somehow not the result of a body of knowledge but rather only the result of a Google search. I find the coincidence more than curious.

5. CGB

CGB Active Member

Yeah and that is what I have done. Your information was wrong, which I explained 3 times in 3 different ways.

I'll just end my involvement in this useless conversation by pointing out for the 4th time what you yourself said (and what is 100% incorrect):

^ This statement is incorrect
    And not a single one of the links you posted states that you splint a stab wound. Not a single one.

Lol. But keep writing long paragraphs about how I am a fraud and you proved me wrong with your random google links.

Goodluck & good bye

6. GingerCoffee

Some people can't help themselves using the same insults, the same patterns when they pretend to be someone else. Trying to Jazz it up with a new backstory isn't much of a disguise when you can't break old habits.

7. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

:sim:

@GingerCoffee, @CGB is not Jazz (yes, it has been confirmed), so let's move on from that accusation and return to the topic at hand.

Also, Jazz wasn't banned, but left out of her own free will.

ETA: Oh, and remember to steer clear of ad hominems and focus on the subject instead of the person.

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think the characters pain threshold should also be a factor, considering there are studies that suggest some people have a higher tolerance over others. Take that into consideration along with what some of the others have said in regards to recoup time, and wound care. From what I have found in my net-travels, is that some times the wound is filled with gauze if it is deep enough to allow for drainage of pus or residual fluids, before being sutured or stapled shut (in some cases glued shut with basically superglue). There is also a new emergency gunshot temporary trauma device used by the military, that plugs the wound to minimize or stop the bleeding until the proper treatment can be applied. Could look into that as well, if only just for reference.

9. zanenichol

zanenichol New Member

hi @GingerCoffee, considering your education i would love to propose a question i also need answered.
    If one was to incur a laceration upon the upper arm and it was deep enough to sever up to 80% of the bicep brachii per ce, what would be the estimated recovery time if surgery went exceptionally well and no nerves nor the brachialis was severed so feeling and sensation in the fingers and the rest of the arm is still present.
    Is this different to the recovery time of a tear in a muscle considering it could heal from a clean stitch?