1. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

How long to wait?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Hublocker, Oct 24, 2021.

I sent a publisher a manuscript August 20 after getting a positive response to three sample chapters of a memoir and getting a request to forward entire manuscript. Their guidelines say I will hear back in two months. I haven't heard back. How long should I wait before writing and asking for a reply?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I know it's difficult to wait, but in the big scheme of a writing career in traditional publishing, four days past the two month guidelines is not much. I've been there and done that.

I would wait at least a month past the stated date. It could be that it is taking longer because it is being discussed and considered. More than being a really good story is needed. Is it something, for example, that they think they can successfully market.

Do your best check your email once or twice a day and keep making progress on other projects. One question publishers often ask is what else you have in the pipeline.

That's my two cents.

Wishing you the best of luck!

3. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

I remain hopeful because they are a regional publisher specializing in stories about life on the west coast of Canada, particularly in the "Good old days" of the 1950s and 1960s and that is exactly what my collection is about.

4. Johncrawfordz

Johncrawfordz Member

Hi

Sorry for the random drop in. Just a thought and question along the topic.

After the initial deadline, wouldn't it be prudent to send a polite reminder email to check with them on the review status or whether they need more time to deliberate on it? Or is it such a frowned upon practice in the writing industry?

My assumption of course after that if no reply is received 1 week after that, assume no go.

Regards

5. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

After I sent my initial three stories in April, I received a polite email that they had been received. In August I did not get that. I'm willing to give it three months.

That is what I did the first go-round. In fact, I skipped a step to get in the door. I did not write a proper quyery letter and send it in as is usually required. I am close friends with two authors who have been published by this house, so I boldly called up the publisher on the phone and dropped those names and gave him a quick CV. That's how I talked him into reading the first three stories.

Then I talked to one of the above authors and asked how long I should wait. "Give him three months," was the advice. "Working with Arthur is like fly fishing. It takes patience."

evild4ve likes this.
  6. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

See my post above called "Is this a rejection or ..?"