1. Fazzio349

Fazzio349 New Member

Interesting power for person who hears voices?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Fazzio349, Jun 6, 2019.

I'm a first time writer (with a lot to learn) writing a fantasy novel. The premise of this novel takes place in the "present" day where magic is pretty new and humans can only use enchanted objects. I want people to really feel bad for this main character. When he was young his parents were murdered. Everyone blames him for their deaths (father took a bullet while trying to save him). They never found the killers or why they attacked, so he vowed to join the magic police force to one day to find them and the truth. He joins. However, he hears a voice (or maybe voices) in his head and so, with magic requiring a lot of mental focus, has a hard time using it. Maybe it was all his life, maybe it's a new thing he's experiencing. Pour on some more bad luck, someone frames him for murder while on the job. The voice in his head lends him some power, and he ends up escaping from jail with someone who turns out is not from this realm and is here investigating a mysterious disruption in the magic energy force. The group he ends up with has powers like mind control, super strength, and fire manipulation, different from what he knows can be done.

I'm struggling with a very important piece of the story...what's the main character's actual power? My first thought went to there's a demon or some evil thing trapped inside him, using him. But that's a very cliche thing to do and unless the how/why is something so unique it won't be very interesting. My second thought was maybe his father left him a watch that's really an enchanted object that sucks in someone's "magic life force." He gains their magic energy, but not any special powers. So he turns from a police officer to a mass murderer killing for power (I think this might be hard to make into a likeable character). The third interesting thing I thought about was maybe he's a necromancer...but only with souls (is there a name for that?). When someone dies one day, he unknowingly trapped a soul in a separate dimension (perhaps this is the watch's power). He can then call upon their soul to lend him their power when he needs it.

Eventually, his parents death, his power, and the magic disruption will intertwine together. Can anyone help me get my creative juices flowing?

2. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

That would be impossible to tell without knowing more about what kind of logic your magic actually follows, what your themes are, and what your character is supposed to do.