1. Tobin Rickard

Tobin Rickard Member

How many WIPs are you working on?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Tobin Rickard, Apr 6, 2017.

Right now I have 3 WIPs that I am actively working on. One short story, one novel, and one non-fiction.

How many WIPs do you generally work on at a time, and what are they?

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I usually only have one project in the writing stage at any given time... right now I've got...

one novel in the writing stage;
    two novels with the publisher that will be returned to me for edits at some point;
    one novel that I'm self-publishing that is just back from the editor and needs to be polished up before going to the formatter;
    four or five novels that have had their rights returned that I'm giving a once-over before self-publishing them as second editions;
    one novel that's perpetually back-burnered that I come back to when I have the energy.

I think that's about it. Lots of novels in various stages of publication, but only one that I'm actively writing.

3. Tobin Rickard

Tobin Rickard Member

I have a couple going at any given time mainly because I write under a few different names, but also because novels take me forever. I like to have something to switch to when I get mentally congested on one or the other.

4. Homewriting

Homewriting Member

I bounce between about 4.

Right now, my main WiP is actually one I have for someone wanting me to help them with their writing needs. It's sort of interesting to work with someone elses idea and receive co-authorship on as well as payment.

The other three are my own projects. Two short stories, one Science Fiction, the other Fantasy, and a Novel that I've been working on for a while now.

5. Apollypopping

Apollypopping Contributing Member

Just the one novel. I have a one track mind and everything tends to bleed together for me.

Props to anyone that does more than one, though.

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.
  6. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributing Member Contributor

At the moment, I have a novel that I am half-way into, a sequel that I have a good percentage outlined, and a novella that I have a finished draft for and that I am in the middle of revising.

I never only have one project on my plate, but I can't think of the last time I've tried doing more than four at once.

Apollypopping likes this.
  7. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

I typically do one project at a time. The exception would be if I'm working on a novel and decide to crank out a short story or two, but even then, I'll typically work on that short story until it's done before returning to the novel.

Right now, though, I have to say I have 0 WIPs. Active ones, anyway. I have two novels that are on the backburner and one that I kind of want to give a go but haven't really gotten around to starting yet.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose Contributing Member

one at first draft (resting) ATW

one being written TDS

numerous at the ideas stage

the plan is to write TDS until i'm blocked then move back to editing atw until i get bored with that, then back to tds and so on - at the end of that process ATW should be ready, while TDS will be resting

then i'll pull another one from the ides pile - rinse and repeat

i'm going to be between jobs from tuesday onwards so i'll be giving the writing a lot more focus

9. Kai

Kai New Member

1 I'm actively working on, I have 2 I'm brainstorming for, and 2 I'm thinking about.

10. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Active Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who works on more than one at once! I occasionally get new ideas but I tell myself that I'm essentially hitting myself in the head every time I begin a new one.

I currently have one fantasy/mystery novel that's going to be about seventy chapters - although that's open to change - and one school story, for which I have planned twenty-six chapters. Both are still in the first draft stage.

I also have a fanfic. I know that's not quite the same, but as it's very long, it takes up a lot of my time.

11. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributing Member

I usually only work on one at a time for fear that others will be left unwritten so long that I'll lose my interest in them but since my novel is such a difficult birth, I'm working on a short story, submitting a finished short story and waiting for my copy of my first/only published short story. I do all of this while singing to myself that familiar tune; someday we will all be free...

12. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributing Member Contributor

Define "Working On"?

I have my main WIP which is in final editing, last year's NaNo project which is currently "stuck", and two other side projects I'm tinkering with as "the next thing" once the main WIP is dusted. Plus a few other things floating around.

I like to only have one or two things formally on the plate at one time - right now the editing on the main WIP is taking all of my writing time - but there are a lot of other loose ends hanging around.

13. joe sixpak

joe sixpak Banned

Depends what you mean working. Always working on many ideas. Always working on notes for those ideas. Always researching a couple or more projects that are WIP using the ideas and notes. Always working on finishing 2-3 that have been researched, but usually try to concentrate on just one at a time.

14. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

One novel I'm pitching.
    One novel I'm researching.
    One novel on which I've just finished a first draft.