Tags:
  1. Odile_Blud

Odile_Blud Active Member

How might an AI cellphone block the FBI from tracking someone?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Odile_Blud, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:34 PM.

I've got some characters that need to run away, but I want them to use their phone to aid them in their escape. This is the year 2085. The cellphone is a self-aware artificial intelligence. What's supposed to happen here is, one of the characters asks the phone if there is any way he can block the FBI to keep them off of their tracks.

My question is, how might the AI do that? I was thinking maybe I can have the AI tell her that he's blocked the FBI from tracking their signal, but to me, that doesn't sound authentic enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Tristan's Opa

Tristan's Opa Member Supporter

The AI will use a series of encrypted links (similar to VPN) for data only and use VoIP for any calls. It would also randomly change the hardware ID of the phone to avoid packet tracking.

Odile_Blud likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Contributor Community Volunteer

Turning itself completely off between calls would stop it being tracked pretty effectively, as would using voip to bounce the signal around the world through proxy servers etc, or how about it scrambles the number its dialling from each time so the Feds can't even identify it

(your plot weakness with any of these is if self aware AI tech is available in a cell phone, it stands to reason that the FBI will also have self aware AI tech to help track fugitives and that would likely be much more powerful... Using a burner and tossing it after one call is still going to be the stand out way of not getting tracked)

Matt E, Odile_Blud and David Lee like this.
  4. Odile_Blud

Odile_Blud Active Member

Thank you! I have a question regarding the last thing you said. What do you think would happen if they acquired a new phone under a fake identity and were able to download the AI on the new phone somehow? Do you think that could work?

5. Tristan's Opa

No, the AI could be infected. You need to scramble the physical and virtual identities of the device. If I were on the run, the LAST thing I would have is a phone. Other devices can communicate and be less traceable.

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Non-practicing American Contributor

2085 is 66 years from now.

66 years ago, color TV was first standardized for sale in the United States.

You can do pretty much whatever you want, as long as you realize that, as mentioned above, it'll be an arms race between the good guys and the bad guys.

Matt E likes this.
  7. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor

This. I am an expert in networking. My knowledge will be completely out of date in about a decade.

[​IMG]

8. Tristan's Opa

Even in 100 years you'll need to hide or confuse identifying the physical and digital identity of the device. Even today, you may also want to hide the voice. Hide and seek is still in play.

9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Non-practicing American Contributor

In the foreword to the new edition of Necromancer, William Gibson laments that he failed to predict the cell phone revolution. "Somebody get me to a modem!" appears in the book.

Tristan's Opa likes this.
  10. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Will that do it? I imagine in 66 years if you lose track of your cellphone, police drones will identify you by your gait and flag you for unusual behavior. City cameras or the cameras on other citizens will automatically record you and send your activities to an AI for review, to determine who you are and what you are doing.

Tristan's Opa likes this.
  11. Tristan's Opa

As they can today. Hell, in 66 years, tin hats to cover electrons in the brain may be needed. Or maybe not. Maybe we'll be scrounging in ruins to find rats to eat and stuff to burn to keep warm., while waiting for the next attack. :superconfused::superthink:

John Calligan likes this.