How much help have you really gotten from other writers?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by aberdeen, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

You know what, aberdeen? You're right, in some respects: there are some people that are so amazingly good at what they do that, sometimes, they get treated special, for it. They get the attention and notice of people that are established. But, then...those people have done something that you haven't. They proved it. They demonstrated that they are exceptional, which you, as of yet, have not done.

You said it yourself: you think you're one in a thousand. However good you are, though, that doesn't make reading the other 999 letters worth it to get to yours.

Prove. Yourself.

Stop waiting for others to do it for you. Grow a pair. Do it yourself.

2. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I don't know why, but for whatever bizarre reason, this thread is highly entertaining. :D Maybe people love the challenge of trying to convince someone seemingly "unconvincable"?

And we should take your word for it... why?

Let's flip the tables: I am telling you that I am very special. You don't know me, you have never heard of me, but I tell you it's true. I am essentially a genius. An unrecognized, unsung hero of the written word. My writing will change the world. I am truly special among the special in the best way possible.Now I want you to put aside your writing and do what you can to help me get published and sell my books. Why? Because I'm special and deserve to be treated as such. Especially by those who aren't nearly as special, like you. Since your work isn't as special as mine, it can wait. Mine can't, so get to work, help me become famous and sell a lot of books.

Were you convinced? I'd be worried if your answer is 'yes.' Fact is, even the "special" people have to prove themselves first. Then they might get noticed, get some help from those who have already made it and see some benefit for themselves in helping the up-and-coming talent (since most people don't sacrifice their scarce time and effort for strangers without at least some benefit for themselves: completely selfless help is usually reserved for family and our closest friends and for a good reason).

I can think of a few reasons. First, I'm sorry, but you come off needier than an exceptionally needy teenager in their first relationship. Most don't really like needy people. It's nothing personal; the type is just very draining. It's okay if it's your own kid, partner, or some such, but needy strangers just generally sap your energy, take, take, take, and rarely give anything back.

And if you refer to your supposed genius as a benefit, that the world's best could learn from you... to quote William Blake:
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the crow."
    When dealing with strangers who haven't proven themselves to anyone, that's a justified fear.

Second, why should anyone here care enough to waste their precious free time (that they could use to write their own special manuscripts) to read your e-mails to leading authors?
    Again, I'm sorry, but most of us are not published, which means we still need to work our asses off to get published, and, as you may have guessed, working one's ass off means working a lot, and since few of us make a living with our writing and have to provide for ourselves and our families by having day jobs that take up most of our time, we don't have much time to spare if we ever want to finish our own special manuscripts and start pitching them during this lifetime.

So, again, like so many have already told you, first you need to prove yourself. Even Mozart proved himself before he became famous. He showcased his exceptional skills and that is what got him noticed. He didn't just walk up to a celebrity of his time and tell them "I'm a genius. Make me famous." I'd wager the same went for Einstein, Muhammad Ali, Jimi Hendrix, Shakespeare etc.

You're special? You're a genius? Great. Prove it.

minstrel, EdFromNY and Thornesque like this.
  3. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

How did you ever get the impression that wanted someone to teach me? Just read my original message. Maybe I came across in a certain, rather negative way. That wasn't my intent. I wrote long emails to well known nonfiction authors to introduce myself. At the end, I told them that any information or advice would be appreciated. I would have been happy if they just responded at first and then, if they had the time- they should have spent at least an hour or so to read some of my essays- and then decide if I was good enough. Of course, NONE of them did that. I guess I will just have to go it alone.

4. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

Before judging me so harshly, why don't you carefully read my original message? Many people here are misinterpreting my words. Why don't you, or anyone, simply ask to see one of my emails to these leading authors? I can show you a four thousand word message. It will only take fifteen minutes of your time to do so. I am disappointed that you are so willing to judge me without even finding out the true story. Fifteen minutes - that's it!

5. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

That's the smartest thing you've said in this entire thread.

6. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

Yes you will have to go it alone, like the rest of us. If you're as exceptional as you claim you are, when you'll publish you'll be instantly be famous and everyone will know your work and you'll be the new Aristotle or whoever. You obviously don't need those plebeian authors that won't help you.

JetBlackGT and Thornesque like this.
  7. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

I have written over a hundred essays and plan on self publishing them in the next few months. How come no one is interested in reading them? Why can't someone famous (or otherwise) just read them, recognize my talent, and then provide some useful contacts and referrals? Do I really have to go it all alone, become famous, and then, and only then, will other famous people finally notice me? There should be an easier way.

8. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

It increasingly looks as if I will have to do just that. Sad, but true. It would be great, however, if someone spotted my talent and helped me along the way. Don't many well known people have mentors and the like?

9. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

Just because you don't understand my situation and disagree with me, you assume that I'm a mere troll. How disappointing.

10. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

It sure would be a lot easier to have some well known and connected author help me along but, yes, what you suggested is what I plan on doing in the next few months. Despite possible appearances, I am not a lazy, spoiled, wacko type who just wants a handout. I guess I will have to make it first before anyone is interested in me. If that's the harsh reality, I will just have to deal with it. I appreciate your feedback.

11. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

@aberdeen, I gave you a few reasons why nobody here is falling over one another to read your e-mails to the authors. And yeah, my reversal was exaggerated, but only to prove a point. How would you react if I was serious about my claims of genius and speciality?

12. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@aberdeen I sent you a PM today and asked you to see that emails you brag about - I'd be happy to give you an honest opinion on why those bastards ignore them - I'm still waiting for your reply...

13. Burlbird

btw: "I wanna be famous!" in your early 50s? really?

14. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

OK, I get your point. No one is going to help me except myself. If that's the brutal reality of the writing world, I will learn to deal with it. I appreciate your feedback.

15. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

That's great. I will do so tomorrow.

16. Ulramar

Everyone else is building themselves up. And that's how it should be. I don't know of any famous writers that had mentors.

17. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...why shouldn't you have to do it all on your own, like everyone else does?... are you so lazy and immature that only the easy road to success will satisfy you?...

why should they?... they don't know you from adam and have no reason to want to make things easy for you... your just saying you 'deserve' it due to your inflated view of yourself and your talent/intelligence doesn't make it so...

yes, you do have to go it all alone, become famous, and then be noticed... because that's what those famous people you've been begging for/expecting help from had to do, themselves!

why should there be an easier way?... it's up to you to prove your worth by having the gumption and perseverence it takes to get your writings 'out there' where their worth can be assessed... it's not up to anyone else to pull strings and cut corners for you, to get you there...

and, as for those essays you want to believe are of such lofty quality and value, you seem to be forgetting [or ignoring] the fact that the one you sent me for an assessment was rife with writing errors and awash with the unmitigated hubris we see here in your posts...

as so many here have advised, bill, you should be expending all this energy on upgrading the quality of your essays and submitting your work to publications, instead of wasting it all here, on whining like a small boy who stamps his feet and demands santa bring him toys his parents can't afford...

i mean all i've said in only the most caring, motherly way, as being an essayist myself, as well as having been blessedly cursed with a genius IQ, i would be delighted to see your dreams of success be realized... but, as a mother of many, i also know that you must do it on your own, if it's to have any true, lasting value...

love and hugs, maia

[ps: i would also be glad to take a look at some of the letters you sent and provide an educated guess as to why they didn't produce the result you desired]

JetBlackGT likes this.
  18. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

If you had carefully read my original message, you would have learned that my goal is to sell ten thousand copies of my new book. If I do much better than that and evenutally become famous, I will have to deal with that as well. Three years ago, I took the Wechlser IQ test and scored 143 (99.8%) in the left brain, academic style verbal section. Yes, I really am that bright, especially so with reading and writing. My mind funtions at such a high (or at least different) level that it can be difficult to communicate with the masses. We all have issues to deal with in life and, yes, it can be painful to be so special. That doesn't mean I am a good writer just because of my high degree of verbal intelligence. It does, however, explain the lack of understanding we have experienced in this thread. If I ever do become famous, I will make it a point to reach out and help others. That will not only be my duty but indeed my privilege.

19. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

This gets my vote for rationalization of the month.

JetBlackGT, minstrel and jazzabel like this.
  20. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

Lazy, immature, a whining small boy - such negativity here. All that I seek is for someone to read my essays, recognize my talent, and provide at least some assistance. That's it. People here are misinterpreting my words. As for the essay you read, I thought it was quite good and one that people (hopefully ten thousand or so) will enjoy. Rife with writing errors? In fact, there were some minor grammar problems. A few sentences may not have been clear to you, but they would have been to those who understand and agree with my point of view. Just because someone has opinions that differ from yours doesn't mean that they are arrogant, lazy, immature, psychologically disturbed, or worse. I will be busy the rest of the day. See you all tomorrow.

21. Burlbird

Great, so other people can't understand the fine tuning of your verbal apparatus because it is soooo superior? Hmmm...let me tell you, as a Mensa member and a language&literature MA that, as much as I know, language doesn't really work that way. You could as well say that it works just the other way around - one's mastery of language is PROPORTIONATE to one's success in conveying information and intent to the highest procentage of auditorium. Failing to achieve information flow with one communication strategy also prompts even an average user to change the strategy...

Mckk, T.Trian and jazzabel like this.
  22. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

I have to go now, but here's one final thought. I have read quite a lot on the special problems that highly gifted folks have in dealing with the masses. The higher the IQ, the harder it is to communicate with other people. I am not the mere one in fifty (Mensa material) or the one in a hundred - will be joining Intertel in a few weeks- but the one in five hundred. I try to get along with average or even above average folks, although it can be difficult at times, not only for me but for them as well. However painful it can be at times, I will have to cope with this the rest of my life. That's just the way it is. I will be busy the rest of the day. I appreciate your feedback. See you all tomorrow.

23. Ulramar

How do you expect to sell anything if you can't communicate with us average people?

minstrel, T.Trian and Thornesque like this.
  24. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you confident enough in that, to allow me to post the notated essay here, so the members can see my notes and your replies?

Mckk and T.Trian like this.
  25. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Essays are all about communication. You're telling us, effectively, that you're not very good at the thing that you claim to be so talented at.

JetBlackGT, T.Trian and Thornesque like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.