1. The_Joker

The_Joker Banned

How much outlining should I do for my web serial?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The_Joker, Jul 5, 2020.

For the first book of my web serial, I plan on doing 10 arcs, each with roughly 8 parts of about 2,500 words each. This comes to a grand total of ~200,000 words.

I have a basic idea of what I want for do for the first two and last two arcs, and I know what I want the main plot to be. I'm wondering if I should even bother coming up with ideas for the middle six arcs, or just let ideas come to me as I write. I'm wondering what's the best compromise between organic spontaneity and having a cohesive narrative.

Thoughts?

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Have you tried both approaches? Pantsing and plotting as they're called 'round here. I've always been a pantser, but recently decided to try some plotting. it's a very different animal entirely, with totally different pitfalls and benefits. It's all too easy to get caught up and over-plan, and then the writing itself is no fun because you've already done most of it. If you go that way, be sure to leave enough wiggle room so you can still make some important decisions on the fly.

In fact what I might try is just a basic overall idea for the overarching plot structure of the whole 'season' (whatever it would be called). This is the way Buffy was done, and if it's good enough for Joss Whedon, then it's way over my head, but something I would definitely like to try.

3. The_Joker

The_Joker Banned

Yeah I have the idea for what the overarching plot is gonna be. I just don't want to exhaust my ideas in the outline and then end up not even using most of them. But I don't wanna flounder in writer's block either. Balance is the issue.

4. Xoic

Ain't it always? I haven't found the balance point myself yet, but I think it's dynamic and always-shifting and you only find it when you go too far in one direction or the other.

5. The_Joker

The_Joker Banned

Hmm. Mind if I share my ideas with you over PM?

6. Xoic

Sure, go for it.