1. handsinthegarden

handsinthegarden Member

How "natural" are my characters' development in a particular scene?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by handsinthegarden, Mar 13, 2017.

Hello All!

After struggling to find the write flow to an important scene, I had begun to wonder something. While I have no questions about how both characters would react in it, I was just more or less curious how generally people may react were they in the situation themselves. Just to sort of gauge whether or not it's a common reaction.

So how about it, you lovely folk? Say someone you had been (and possibly still are) very in love with (but split amicably from years prior) crosses your path and strikes up a conversation. You find out they're engaged, and yet the connection you had once shared was so passionate and strong that the news is unsettling to hear. How would you feel someone may react? Do you try and feel out whether the long lost love might still be there, or avoid the topic altogether? Would you even attempt to discuss it, or would the engagement push you away from this person completely?

Once again, I'm more just curious as to whether or not I've written my scene without pushing boundaries into the unlikely/impossible.

Thanks everyone! :)

2. PirateQueen27

PirateQueen27 New Member

Interesting. Depends on how it ended. If it wasn't horrible like cheating or serious lying, maybe just time to go seperate ways when we broke up I think my heart would sink and ache a little in hearing that. Perhaps I'd feel nauseous at the same time. I wouldn't push it in that moment. If I had their number or email, I'd probably text or email them later, possibly strike up reminiscent thought to see what kind of reason I get. Maybe push a little then.

I hope that helps....

handsinthegarden likes this.
  3. handsinthegarden

handsinthegarden Member

Very true! The ending always makes a difference. I'd personally wave goodbye if it was cheating. I feel that such a person wouldn't be worth another glance if they could do that to me. If however, it was an ending to do something such as distance....I'd have a harder time swallowing my words and stopping myself from testing to waters, as awful as that might sound...

Thank you for your input! :)

PirateQueen27 likes this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

If the other person is getting engaged that would be torch extinguished for me. Finito, donzo, goodbye....

5. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Agreed. There's no clearer way to communicate I HAVE MOVED ON THANK YOU AND PLEASE DRIVE THROUGH like mentioning you're getting married to someone else.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  6. mbear

mbear Member

I think I would probably go overboard attempting to show how excited I was for the guy and act as if I had moved on too. But I definitely would have that heart sinking, etc and maybe drown my sorrows later that night with my best girlfriend. I would assume he would be telling me as a way to show he had happily moved on. If he was interested, I assume he wouldn't tell me and then see what was going on with me-- if these feelings were cropping up for him as well.

7. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

It would definitely depend on the specific situation. I might just be very cordial, take an interest in how they are, then leave it at that. I might politely just extricate myself as quickly as possible. Or, if I was getting the right signals, I might take them out for a drink and enjoy their company again...