1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

How often do you daydream?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by deadrats, Aug 24, 2017.

How often do you daydream about your life as a writer? I mean we're all writers, but I think most of us dream about taking our writing careers to the next level. I'm a big dreamer. I mean I'm trying really hard, as hard as I possibly can. And I still hope that all this hard work is going to pay off in some way. Are you a dreamer too?

2. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Every damn second I can! Thoughts are things.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Hardly ever. I sometimes have fleeting thoughts about how certain moments would feel, but not often and not for long. I've never had much imagination in any way.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Do you mean you dream about the stuff you want to write/are currently writing or that you dream about being one day recognized as a writer?

5. gertegan

gertegan Member

I used to do it all the time. Now that I have kids, though, I rarely have time to complete a practical thought let alone a daydreaming one.

6. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

In that case, what motivates you to write? (Genuine question asked out of interest).

7. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I enjoy it. I don't understand why people do it for any other reason, to be honest - if you want money, a minimum wage job earns you more. If you want recognition, find another industry!

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I do quite often, comes with the Sci-fi territory.
    Akin to Dr.House, I think and often want to
    see people naked. And not in a sexual context. :p
    People Fascinate me on all levels, but I can't nor
    have the capacity to molest an-other's gray and
    white matter. :D

9. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it. I'm not fussed about recognition, as you're nothing more than a printed name to most readers - I think for me it's the desire to make something out of being able to tell stories.

10. Walking Dog

Walking Dog Active Member

I'm going to assume you mean fantasize. I don't recall fantasizing about being a writer, but I probably had that fantasy somewhere along the line. I can tell you, I fantasize about many other things... almost nonstop. The only time I don't fantasize is when I'm meditating, which makes meditation refreshing. My fantasies are so vivid and engaging, even in public I'm prone to bursting into laughter or speaking out loud. I have to be careful when I'm around others so they don't notice. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, had it been written in my lifetime, would have me thinking that James Thurber knew me. If I was sitting next to you on a bus, you'd never know I was once a rock musician, an astronaut, a hit man, the president of the United States, a professional baseball player, champion chess player, champion surfer, genius physicist and mathematician. But a writer? I think maybe that's one of the things I do in reality.

11. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Not in the slightest.

Even when I was most active I never really daydreamed about where it would all end up. I mean, it was and might still be at the back of my head "Hm, it would be nice to get published if it ever gets to that", but no real daydreaming. I'm not much of a dreamer, anyway.

Now a days I'm not really writing to get published. I write because my mind gets clogged up and I'm at higher risk at getting deeper into depression if I don't "produce" something. If I finish something and it feels right I'd probably try to publish it, if not, meh. At least it might get me through the day.

Sorry for the downer post.