1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

How often do you have breaks?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by The95Writer, Feb 25, 2014.

I am sort of getting writer's block for both of my projects so I decided to take a break for at least one day.
    I have been writing on average 6 days a week since I first started my book 3 months ago and I am near the end already for my first project. But I am wondering, how often do you have a break? A day? A Few days? A week?

2. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

However long I need + when real life gets in the way. There's no really easy answer. I take two weeks between first and second draft just to "forget" what I wrote and read it with a reader's eye so I know if I'm making sense or not.

3. KatieValino

KatieValino Member

I usually take a week out, from everything if I get severe enough block, but sometimes plodding through can be just as effective, even if you have to switch projects from something intensive like a novel, to something less severe like a short story or poem.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

As often as they come. I'm not a creature of much discipline in these matters.

(I must admit I originally read your thread as "How often do you have breasts?", to which my answer would have been something quite other. ;))

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Normally, I write every day but sometimes I really need to take a day off to recharge the creatice batteries or just think a little about where the story's going, and then I do. It's probably very individual how often we need to rest from the writing, so maybe you should just focus on your needs.

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Boy, you're steaming ahead! I wish I could keep to a schedule like that. My breaks come whenever, however long. I've been writing a short story, struggling through it all through February. So far I've only got five pages. That ought to tell you how whacked my schedule is.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  7. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Active Member

This whole month of February hasn't been good on my writing schedule. I had written about eighteen pages, and haven't resumed since. I still can't get off my "break".

8. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

My writing time links well with the phrase, "Little and often." When the mood takes me, I'll write. I'm not one of those "write every day" people, but I guess, on average, I write for about 3-5 hours per week, which actually isn't very much. But whatever works for you, works for you.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm a consulting engineer by trade, and that means I work on a project-by-project basis. When a project comes in, the deadline is usually very tight and I have to work fast, so there's no time to write. When it's done and I have nothing else to do, I write every day. Projects come at unpredictable times, so there's no one answer to this question for me.

I work on several pieces of writing at once, so if I get stuck on one, I just move to another I'm not stuck on. I only rarely have to do that, though.

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

My longest break's been about a month, but normally, a day or two is enough.

11. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

usually a few days to a week. A week is pretty standard. Towards the end, before I finally burnt out, I took a month. Right now I haven't written since before Christmas, but this isn't a break from my novel like usual. This is like... a real BREAK. A long holiday, if you will.

12. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

The short answer: any day I am scheduled to work.

13. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

OK. Good feedback people. I usually try to fit in 1/2 a page to 4 pages a day (in standard book format). The highest I have gone since I started in is 2000 words in one day. But this is my first book. I took a break yesterday from both, my non-fiction and fiction but will be trying to knock out some more later.

14. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    Short answer: As needed, for however long. My project that I've been working on for about a year and a half required me to take a 6 month mental break and I've only recently returned. For less intense works, the 'as needed' still applies but usually varies between a couple days to a week...depending of course on the reason for hiatus.