1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

How old were you when you first wrote something?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Dec 5, 2011.

What did you write?
    and what was is that inspired you to write then?

2. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

I think you meant the first story a person ever wrote toward becoming a writer. Right?

The first thought that came to my mind when I saw this question was the first class in school, that is when I learned to write... So the first thing I wrote was probably just a word (I'm not counting exercising letters).
    Either way, the first stories ever written have mostly come from schools and that for most people. And in a lot of cases the inspiration has been the teacher and the knowing that if you don't do it you get a bad grade. With this I remember that I have a story written in my native language, I missed all points I had to have it include but as it was the first story I wrote I was given the lowest grade with which I could pass. On the other hand, I wrote the story as I saw fit and, literally, the whole school had a very good laugh for about two weeks (the story is a short comedy when I look at it now). I didn't realize back then but now I see that if I do it the way I want, with my rules, it will be good, even very good. I'm thinking I might translate it into English, modify a bit, and post it here at some time.

But if you ask the first story that counts toward becoming a writer then the answer to that is: I haven't written a story like that yet, up to three more months till I'm there, and that one I'm gonna post under short stories for reviews and critique. As to the inspiration for that, I don't know, I just will do it. Nothing really drives me, other then it is the one thing I can do as I see fit (other than grammar, of course) and that it feels right.

3. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Not counting school-stuff, I think about nine.

It was about a female astronaut who is sent to space, and has to be away from her kids for a long time etc.
    Stirring stuff. :cool:

Never finished it though.

4. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Yes that is what I was asking.
    it would definetely be interesting to read your comedy story it on this forum.

This sounds like an incredible story.
    Nine is a good age to write.
    Do you still have it or would you not want to finish if you could?

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I wrote stories for school in first grade. I was five or six or so. The first stories I wrote that weren't for school were written when I was eight or nine, I think. I was very much under the spell of science fiction writers like Arthur C. Clarke and Robert Heinlein at the time. I only remember one of them, which was a blatant ripoff of one of Heinlein's stories. (Hey, kids write ripoffs! It's true!) Also, at the time, I tried writing some superhero stories starring myself and my friends - just wish-fulfillment fantasies. My friends thought these were kind of cool, because, while we'd pretend to be superheroes when we were just playing around, I was the only one of us who actually wrote our "adventures" down on paper.

I started writing seriously, meaning with a view to getting published, when I was about fourteen.

6. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Nope, I don't have it anymore. I'm not sure how far I got actually.

Thinking about it now, I only remember the beginning.

Something to think about perhaps.

7. Devrokon

Devrokon New Member

Probably around eigth-ten. I was an early starter. :D

That's not including RPG's I wrote, or things I wrote for school.

8. JonasGrant

JonasGrant New Member

I was eight the first time I wrote something, inspired by a mix of Jules Verne's Lost World, Jurassic Park and Dino Crisis... I was a weird kid. Story never got a name, but it was about a bunch of scientists and military that were flung in the late Jurassic-Early Cretaceous and survived by acting somewhat like cavemen...

I'm actually re-writing it now with the intention of turning the thing to a novel...

9. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Among the gifts I got on my eighth birthday was a book about things that had happened on my date of birth. I noticed that several of the people born on the same day as me were "authors" and I asked my mother what that meant. I already had a huge affinity for words, spelling at a much higher level than I should by all rights have been doing, and I frequently read my mother's dictionary just to learn new words. I'd never come across "author" before, but she explained it was somebody who wrote books, and I told her that I'd be one.
    So I was eight the first time I wrote something for myself. I was seventeen when I finished something I was proud of with a good storyline and good prose.

10. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I remember the first word I wrote. Shark! Awesome first word imo.

Anyway, I wrote a lot in my diary from age six, but my first proper story at age eight. About horses. Because horses rock!

11. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

I wrote when I was 15, and I would add story lines to some video games I played, namely Rome Total War. Unfortunately they're all an on old computer in Italy.

12. Jethelin

Jethelin Member

I wrote a story for my fifth(I think) grade teacher back years ago. I think it was something to with leprechauns :cool:. I loved writing it once I started, and I finally stopped writing at around 5 pages when the minimum was one. I have been into writing ever since, always thinking of stories and making notes or starting them. I mostly did poems and songs up until fairly recently though, with the odd story here and there.

13. Pea

Pea super pea!

When I was 7-8 or so I tried to write this novel about this group of creatures that lived on a citadel on an island and were digging to the underworld for some reason... There was an army against them I guess and the 'protagonists' were a mix of dragons, drakes and dinosaur-type beings. They found a symbol in the caves beneath the earth and a labyrinth filled with minotaurs that they managed to get to join them, but the sky of the island above turned red and was now dangerous. It strangely reminds me of Minecraft now.

A year or so later we had to write a story about "what we want our life to be when we grow up"... everyone else wrote 'normal' things I guess. I wrote about how I wanted to have my own island named after this god I invented, and pull crystals from the island with my mind to create great living fortresses, and create a suit of armor that turned me into a dragon and able to fly. The teachers told my parents that I had "too much imagination". Hmm. :p

14. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hi Pea your story sounds amasing.
    You can never too much imagination.
    I reckon you should develop it.:p

1 person likes this.
  15. T1p2

T1p2 New Member

The first thing I ever wrote was a comic series about a teenage boy that was turned into an anthropomorphic bear and fought crime. I started in the first grade and continued it through the second grade. They were very popular with my friends and teachers, but I stopped writing when I moved. I keep thinking that one day I might revisit those old stories...but nothing ever comes of it.

16. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I was three or four when I wrote my first comprehensible story. According to my mom, I started scribbling random nonsense on paper starting at about 1 or 2, as soon as I was physically capable. No motive - just an ingrained part of my natural identity. :) My activity-level with writing varied a lot depending on how busy I was with school, but it was always a major and natural part of me, just like how for really spiritual people or people who know they are gay, that's just a natural part of them.

17. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I've been writing forever, but I started seriously doing it in the 4th grade.

18. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I think my first attempt at creative writing was when I was 16. It was essentially a rip-off of Silent Hill 2. The first 'serious' story I wrote was about the same time: it was about someone being chased by a Zombie. But that was a Lovecraft parody.

The first proper, writer-y story I wrote was during the last summer gone in which I really tried to develop my own style beyond pale Lovecraft imitations and plain kitsch. It was about a group of children having a special hiding place for themselves.

The first story I had published was a political filler I found for myself, it was in one of July's editions of The Northumberland Gazette.

19. Lemex

[Double-post: delete me]

20. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Gigi

what type of stories did you start writing?

what is a political filler?

21. Lemex

A filler that is political in nature.

A newspaper often has some excess space left over from the larger stories, and so they have fillers to fill those gaps in; and often these fillers can be up to 300 words. My first published filler was just 50 words, but I've had around 15 printed stories since then and my full published word count is around 1000. Including a 400 word story with an illustration, which I was very happy with.

22. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Outside of school: age nine.

I got tired waiting for the fourth installment of a game series to come out so I wrote my own continuation of the story. Good thing, too - after that the developers sold the rights to another company who completely wrecked the franchise. Since then they've released a further fourteen games (by ten different game developers) and they're all dreadful.

23. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hold on a minute.:)
    You wrote your own version of the game which took off you mean?

24. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I had a poem published in an anthology when I was 14. I wrote my first full length novel when I was 21.

25. Cacian

Cacian Banned

That sounds impressive.
    Do you still have it?