1. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Short Story Your heros.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Alice in Wonderland, Apr 23, 2007.

I'm going to write a short piece and I'm not sure what direction it's going to go in yet. It's inspired by the song Hero by Ozzy Osbourne.

Please answer the questions below to help me with this writing.

Do you have a/more than one hero?

Who are they?

What did they do to make them a hero in your eyes?

Name someone from history that has done something heroic that isn't listed in your personal hero.

What is your definition of a hero?

Name a song, film or play that shows a display of heroism.

Thanks for filling this out. =)

2. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

(My apologies for this not being in the form of your form.)

My heroes are people like:

Martin Luther King Jr.

Malcolm X

That kid who stared down that tank in Tianamen square.

Susan B. Anthony

Bella Abzug

Madam Marie Curie

Emily Roebling and Lillian Galbraith (pioneering women engineers)

Sitting Bull, for saying "I will fight no more forever."

Jackie Robinson & Paul Robeson

Nelson Mandela

The US Coast Guard

Works that depict heroism:

To Sir With Love

La Femme Nikita (the French film, not the US cable series)

A Town Like Alice

A Tale of Two Cities

(And it's not so high-brow, but) Robert B. Parker's "Spenser" detective novels

I guess I think of heroism and bravery and perseverance against overwhelming forces, especially in defense of underdogs and innocents, but also when it's the only for one's own survival. Even just pressing through with mundane tasks, like teaching or engineering tasks, can be heroic when performed well against great opposing forces.

Hope this helps even some,

- Evelyn

3. Alice in Wonderland

Thanks Evelyn. =) That did help and I don't mind you not using my outline thingy. It's just to show the sort of thing I want to find out. ^^ Thanks again! =D

4. Alice in Wonderland

Any more info from others would be appriciated...

5. Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast New Member

Do you have a/more than one hero? Yes

Who are they? Serge A. Storms. Che Guevara. Billy the Kid.

What did they do to make them a hero in your eyes?
    They're real(ish) people with real(ish) weaknesses. They're not perfect in any way, most of them are psychotic.

Name someone from history that has done something heroic that isn't listed in your personal hero. Firemen do that every day.

What is your definition of a hero? Someone consistently in the right place at the wrong time, yet they manage to make the best of it.

Name a song, film or play that shows a display of heroism. "Hero" - some guy saves a plane full of people in order to appease some kid. He then disappears and does his best to avoid attention.

6. Alice in Wonderland

Thanks Wilderbeast. =)

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...don't know that i have any, though i admire and respect many for what they have given of themselves to others...

...some of those you might call 'heroines' i put at the top of my list of those deserving respect and/or reverence:

sacajawea
    pocahantas
    mother theresa
    princess diana
    joan of arc
    jehan sadat

some of the 'other half':

mohandas gandhi
    thomas paine
    martin luther king
    plus
    all the lakota men, women and children massacred at wounded knee and their successors, who endured a 71-day standoff there some 80+ years later...

i should hope you'd know... if you don't, you can google them...

n/a

n/a

too many to list, among which would be any biographical-based works relating to the people i named... a few off the top of my head:

hester prynne in 'the scarlet letter' by nathaniel hawthorne

idiotic 'heroism' of the pow colonel and his men who built 'the bridge on the river kwai'

both the boy and his mom in 'mask'

8. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Yes

Oscar Schindler
    Winston Churchill
    Franklin Roosevelt
    Sir Arthur Currie
    Tecumseh

-Oscar Schindler saved about 6000 Jews under the noses of the Nazi's. At great personal risk. He also bankrupted himself doing so. (And although he made munitions in the last year or two of the war, they were all defective.)
    -Winston Churchill foresaw the Nazi threat, and tried to rally Britain in the 1930's. Successfully led Britain through WW2.
    -Franklin Roosevelt, his policies helped lead the US out of the Great Depression. WW2 really put the US back on its feet, but it was already over the worst of it. Did everything he legally (and occasionally illegally) could to support Britain before the US officially entered the war. Rallied the US for the war.
    -Sir Arthur Currie was a general in the Canadian Army during WW1. He was an expert tactician, did his best to keep his men alive, and it was after Canadian divisions were placed as independent army under his command, that the Canadians became known as the best soldiers in WW1.
    -Tecumseh was a Shawnee Chief, who attempted with some success to rally the Native tribes in the Midwest against the Americans. He was a critical ally of Britain in the War of 1812, until his death in October 1813. His Indian Confederation helped slow, demoralize and defeat the Americans in the critical first two years of the war. After his death the Confederation collapsed. Its believed by many that if he had survived, his Confederation would have continued as an ally of Britain, and likely led to a semi-independent Indian Protectorate in British North America.

Isaac Brock, Florence Nightingale, Mary Seacole, King Christian X of Denmark. (Mostly don't know enough about them, although I do respect them)

Anyone who has worked hard and/or risked something to keep a person alive, or make their little section of the world a better place.

Schindler's List (movie), Big John (country song),

9. Stinger

Stinger New Member

My heroes are heroes are Ho Chi Minh, Che Guevara, Allende, Taleghani, Mossadegh, Malcolm X, Mother Teresa, Lincoln, Washington, Umar, Hussein, Bazargan, Bolivar, Carter, Confusius, Gandhi, Luther King, Mandela.

They did something which has good influence till today.

10. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

Just to clarify, Stinger, do you mean Hussein ibn Ali, the grandson of the prophet Mohammed; or Hussein I bin Talal, the late King of Jordan?

- Evelyn

11. Stinger

Stinger New Member

I meant Saddam Hussein...:D

Joking. I meant Hussein son of Ali, grandchild of Muhammad.

12. Alice in Wonderland

Thanks guys. You've been a lot of help!

Now for some research! xD