1. Monsun

Monsun New Member

Novel The writing sucks...

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Monsun, Jan 26, 2013.

I been an off-on writer for the past 8 years, but I never put too much time into it. The past 2 months I been working on this novel idea that I really like, but I am looking at it, and it just sucks. The ideas are good, the characters are okay, but it's just the writing itself is sloppy. I'm willing to put the time and energy to improve this, but I am not sure if I have the potential to improve.

What I notice in my writing is that it's sloppy and I am spending more time on useless filler/mental thoughts since its 1st person, then my suspense is flat since I put the action scene to quickly after another action scene, the characters aren't fully flesh to the full extent, and I have an awkward way of saying things.

thanks for reading

2. TimHarris

TimHarris Member

Do you read a lot? If not, do it. Read a lot of books written in first person to get an idea of how to write your own texts. That is probably the best way to learn.

3. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

We are always our own worst critics. I'm polishing now and offering copies of the story to selected friends. Yikes, the stuff we find!

The first impression I usually get is that these niggling mistakes make "the entire project" substandard. Then I read other peoples' rough drafts and find the same thing.

It's a work in progress. Keep writing, keep re-writing, and someday we'll all stand in line at a bookstore to get an autographed copy of your book.

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

How many novels (or novel-length pieces) have you written/completed before this one? I ask because writing is one of those things that doesn't just happen - it takes a lot of practice and a lot of trial and error before you figure it out. I look back at my earlier writing and I can tell immediately what order I wrote them (and no, I don't always remember :p). So it may be that this is just the place you're currently at on the learning curve. Don't let it discourage you - keep working on it, keep reading, and if you need to, set it aside for a bit and work on something else, to give you a little more objectivity.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

constant reading of the best writers' works is a vital prerequisite to learning how to write...

study how the most respected writers of all time, as well as contemporary ones deal with the aspects of writing you're having trouble with...

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It won't flow smoothly on your first attempt. This whole writing thing looks easier than it really is, and it does take time and a lot of practice to get it right.

Talent is only a small part of potential. The major portion will always be how much work you are willing to put into it to improve.

When you are reading a novel, stop every once in a while and consider what you would do to write the paragraph or scene more effectively. Don't give up just because the author is well known. Even the top authors blunder occasionally, and they probably didn't dissect the paragraph or scene in the way you will.

Don't get discouraged. But if you have the guts to stick with it, you don't need to be told that anyway.

Never doubt you can do it. Never question how long it will take. Just decide you will succeed, and keep trying until you do.

1 person likes this.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Best advice ever. (Other than, maybe, "Keep breathing.")

8. Jack Dawkins

Jack Dawkins New Member

Hemingway said, "the first draft is always crap."

9. Arthur Wagner

Arthur Wagner New Member

The best advice I can give you: Do not fall into the trap of exaggerated expectations for oneself. I think this is a common mistake that nearly everybody makes. Just keep on writing, because you enjoy writing ...