1. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

How should I go about Naming the towns/areas in this fictional Country?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by naruzeldamaster, Feb 25, 2022.

First of all, the country is based for the most part on Italy with a mountain region to the northwest based on Scotland/Welsh.

Second of all, this country takes place in the world of Pokemon, which doesn't have much to go by in terms of naming it's cities/countries, not that I'm able to tell anyway. I wonder if anyone can help me nail down the 'logic' behind these names so I can name them properly. Well, not so much properly but fitting for the world.

Kanto Region, the OG Region is based on well, Kanto/Japan(general): The town names are Pallet Town, Viridian City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Vermillion City, Lavender Town, Celedon City, Fuchida City, Saffron Islands.

Another Example:

Galar Region is based on the United Kingdom (Mostly London and Britannia): it's cities are Postwick, Wedgeherst, Motostoke, Turffield(The theming on this one is obvious), Hullberry, Hammerlocke, Stow-on-Side, Balloonia, Circhester, Spikemuth, Wyndon, and Freezington (Again kind of obvious on the theming)

2. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

Hmm. I'll be honest, I don't see the theme for the Galar Region but also I'm kind of tired, but I feel like you should just pick a theme and make it sort of Italian or scottish/welsh sounding depending on where it is in the region and that's it.

3. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Yeah, I decided to name the region Seasons in italian, as far as Google Translate is concerned anyway. (I know Google translate is terrible but it's about the only option I have)
    A central theme of the towns will be the four different seasons, and each area is going to perpetually be in that climate. (It's a common occurance in Pokemon I assure you)
    For Turffield, it's literally just, a town in a field. And Freezington is a snow town...so yeah, sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's not.

4. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

I graduated from Freezington High School in 1987. It sucked.

5. Det Del Dragons

Det Del Dragons Member

I think the seasons idea is really good. That could certainly play into the different pokemon located in those areas. I feel like as long as you have some sort of theme you're good. One thing that might be interesting is having a region where the different towns rely on the pokemon for different things like mining, fishing, farming, entertainment, security, cooking, and naming the towns accordingly. Then you can develop some pokemon that could potentially help in those areas. So instead of battling with pokemon, the people have sorta learned to live with pokemon and have them help out in various ways.

6. AlyceOfLegend

AlyceOfLegend Senior Member Contest Winner 2022

Currently Reading::
    Fanfiction- Stranger Things, Supernatural
    I use the same town name for every setting (I'm lazy). I have randomly smashed the keyboard and made names out of the letters there.

Ex:
    hdhdxysh = Hidhadoxysh
    Osjxvfudei = Os'jex Vofudei

Stupid, but fun.