1. mobious109

mobious109 New Member

Testing new waters

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by mobious109, Apr 8, 2009.

I have an idea that I want to write a story involving dragons to try it on for size, but the problem is I know next to nothing about them.:confused: I was wondering if anybody knows of any myths or ledgends I could use in my little adventure here. Thanks.

2. That Silly Welsh Guy

That Silly Welsh Guy New Member

You could try the following? It's certainly one of my favourite dragon myth - three guesses why xD : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_Ddraig_Goch hope it helps =]

3. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

Well, I mean... They're dragons. They're not real, so you can pretty much say whatever you want...

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

true... you can make them be whatever you want... but for the classic aspects of dragonhood, why don't you just google and get your own info?

5. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    Dragons are such popular fantasy creatures that you can pretty much make up whatever you want about them and have them accepted and recognisable.

6. Neidermeyer

Neidermeyer Active Member

Exactly. Look at the difference in Dragons from DND and then from Chinese legend. Different in a lot of ways. Just establish the basis for what you want you want your dragons to be able to do. Do people know about them? How intelligent are they? Can they speak? Colors? you get the idea.

7. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

I once read a couple of books where the creatures known as dragons were gigantic cats rather than gigantic lizards and it worked despite their complete difference from the current idea of dragons.

My suggestion would be to write about the dragons you see when you close your eyes. You're writing about them which makes them 'your' dragons - and since they are yours, you'll know them a lot better than anyone else.

Do your dragons fly? Do they even have wings? Are they ancient, myth-like, and intelligent or have they arrived recently with all the inherent societal and ecological changes that introducing a new creature that has no natural enemies which is also close to bulletproof? Do they yearn for company because of their solitary existences or is there a civilisation of dragons? Are they native to the world or have they come here from somewhere else for reasons known or unknown?

You can answer all these questions and so many more because they are yours. Dragon exist in so many forms already that it is impossible to have encountered them without finding something you didn't like about that specific definition of a dragon.

What are dragons? They are unique and wonderful or common and rude - the choice is yours.