Tags:
  1. laciemn

laciemn New Member

Plot Specific Books

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by laciemn, Mar 5, 2009.

I've read this immensely helpful book on plot. It's called Plot (Elements of Fiction Writing) by Ansen Dibell. It helped me so much. I was stuck with basically this vague idea of a few characters and a kingdom, but everything was so unclear that I just couldn't wrap my brain around it enough to write anything that I didn't cross out immediately. I was actually flinching at everything I wrote.

I don't know what changed, but after reading a few chapters ideas just kept spilling out. Ideas that might not be able to make it all the way, but I still saw the potential.

I've never read anything about writing before this. I always thought it was sort of pointless. Why read about learning to write when you can write and learn how to write? It really got my wheels turning, though. I recommend it to people who struggle as I do with it. Are there any critical books anyone has read on this topic?

2. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I had a similar reaction to a writing book called "Bite and Spunk". It not specifically about plot generation but it gave me the spill-out-all-your-words effect you mentioned.

3. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

I am wary of these books because when i read them i often seem to limit myself more than usual because i have to follow the 'author's rules....But i'll give this book a look

4. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Think of them more as guidelines than rules. If you know what you're doing you can dismiss most "hard" genre archetypes and rules, and it will still be amazing.

5. laciemn

laciemn New Member

Sounds interesting ^^ Thanks! I have so many things in queue to read, but I'm always adding to it!

Another thing I've found useful for getting stuck in the planning stage of plot is color-coding things or making little charts and things. Maybe it will help with people who are like, visual learners or something? Notecards help as well too...and I find it helpful to draw a little map of the setting or a picture of something important.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I am wary of such books because if you know enough to tell the good suggestioons from the not-so-good ones, you probably already know most of what the book can offer you.