1. Prixy

Prixy New Member

How should the characters meet?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Prixy, Dec 20, 2017.

I'm trying to write a story, but I need help to find a way for the two main characters to meet. The problem is, most normal circumstances for two characters to meet don't work in the story's world. Also, one of the characters is a loner, but they like to help others and is experienced in the world. The other character never knew what was outside, isn't experienced at all, and is very naive and happy-go-lucky.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think you need to describe the story world. Is this a world where humans don't go out in public? I'm being sarcastic (though maybe that does describe the world?); I just have trouble imagining how "most" opportunities to meet are eliminated?

Trish likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

We're going to need wayyyyyyy more information than that. You can't ask us how characters are supposed to meet in a world where "normal circumstances don't work" without telling us about the world. Are the characters in Mongolia? The Forbidden Kingdom of Arnathrex? The dark side of the Moon? A riverboat to New Orleans? What are the circumstances and restrictions that make meeting people so difficult?

RiverSong and CoyoteKing like this.
  4. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

Agree. What’s the world like?

Your answer will probably come from that. Meeting in a zombie apocalypse might be different from meeting on the high seas of Water World.

5. Prixy

Prixy New Member

The world takes place in the future after a rogue AI caused a world war of robots against humans. After the war, the humans built large walls around the cities to prevent robots from entering and the robots started creating towns for themselves. The two main characters are robots themselves, and when I said most normal circumstances don't apply is because one robot is a scavenger in the old cities and the other is in an abandoned robot factory who doesn't know about the events outside.

6. Sundowner

Sundowner Active Member

Uh, have the scavenger raid the abandoned factory?

RiverSong, CoyoteKing and TWErvin2 like this.
  7. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

hi! :)

I was wondering if the character who is inside all the time, has ever wondered about taking a walk outside?
    If they did, the scavenger could notice them and follow them back to the abandoned factory, or they could meet outside and have this awkward encounter but then they are like 'lets be friends' and she shows them the factory and I don't know.

It's hard to figure out how characters should meet, it's so frustrating sometimes! lol.

RiverSong and CoyoteKing like this.
  8. RiverSong

RiverSong Member

Are your two main characters going to be friends or enemies? Are you planning on them teaming up for something? Or fighting against each other eventually? That can play a part into how they meet as well.

Sometimes main characters meet through other characters.

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, if they're robots, do they even need to meet physically to know of each other's existence? Did the rogue AI have to get all the robots into a room together to organize the uprising or were the plans communicated remotely? Sounds to me like you might be looking for a human answer to a robotic question. I'd think they'd be able to do all their communicating and meet-and-greets digitally and wouldn't have to actually "meet" to get acquainted us humans have to.

RiverSong and Sundowner like this.
  10. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

That's interesting if the AI was aware of other robots he would know where he was and what he was doing.
    Brings to mind the Borg Collective.
    I have in the past had (unlikely to meet) characters come together in a catastrophic event it seems to eliminate social hierarchy.

11. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Ahh, nostalgia. :) I joined WF to ask a very similar question. I kept writing different meeting situations and none of them felt right.

As I recall, WF wasn't much help - not through any fault of the members, but because these plot questions are very difficult for other people to answer. I eventually sparked an idea for my two characters that worked, and I think you will as well. Not sure the answer will come from anybody else, though.

Kitonie Bubblegum likes this.
  12. Prixy

Prixy New Member

In the universe the story takes place in, the AI did cause the revolution remotely, though many robots chose not to listen and continued their work. But currently robots can't communicate wirelessly because after the use of AI in robotic workers became widespread, a "kill-switch" was built for the internet and wireless communication. When it was activated, all robots, even harmless household ones, were shut off temporarily as the humans migrated into the fortified cities.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  13. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

So you've got introvert meet extrovert basically? It seems easy to get them to meet. Imagine they've both be pushed into a certain opposite scenarios and then as they both leave and go into the "middle ground" (whatever that may be) they bump into each other. The personalities basically dictate the story for you don't they?

14. K McIntyre

K McIntyre Active Member

Let your characters drive the plot here. Pick one of the characters (robots) and get inside their head. See their world through their eyes, and then set them free to explore. They will tell you how they meet others, or even if they do. At least that's my two cents worth.

15. Prixy

Prixy New Member

I think I know what to do now, thank you for the help.

Kitonie Bubblegum likes this.