1. BigStackPoker

BigStackPoker New Member

Comprehensive archetype list?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by BigStackPoker, May 4, 2012.

I'm hoping one of you may know of an online resource that would include a fairly comprehensive list of (fantasy) fiction archetypes...

I've been googling all the search terms I can come up with and haven't had much luck. I'm thinking I may have more success in a less dedicated website that just may happen to cover what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

A great discussion of archetypes that are relevant to literature can be found either in "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" by Campbell or "Writer's Journey" by Vogler.
    I don't know any online resource that discusses this topic in any reasonable detail, so I'd recommend you check out one of these books, both are excellent.

3. GillySoose

GillySoose New Member

You can try scouring that tropes website. Not sure if they have a fantasy category, per se, though.

4. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

You can find everything and something more at TVTropes. Not exclusive to literature though.

5. BigStackPoker

BigStackPoker New Member

That site is awesome! Thanks guys =)

I appreciate the tip on the books, too, and I'll use those as a resource if this fails to meet my needs... but so far, so good!