1. flipflop

flipflop New Member

new section

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by flipflop, Aug 6, 2011.

Would it be possible to have a section devoted to individual progress reports on projects so that everyone can document there progress and just write something about what doing on there project. Others could write words of encouragement as well. Of course this section would have to allow bumping of threads.

2. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

3. flipflop

flipflop New Member

No thats everyones progress and its going to be a very large thread what i meant was a section where we can put our progress in regularly ie bumping our own threads and others can comment on how we are doing. similarly i could go in and search for my favourite peoples threads and see how there doing not sift through hundreds of individual posts just to find how someone is doing. The search facility isnt up to scratch for finding them yet (although vb4 is coming) and i find the pm screen just a little distracting as well as clogged with everyones messages. But thankyou for the link (which was the initial inspiration for the idea)

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That sounds like something far better suited to your blog than to actual threads...

1 person likes this.
  5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hidden beat me to it. Your blog is the right place for personal milestones. The general forum is not for "me" threads.

6. flipflop

flipflop New Member

very well

i still think its a good idea though. I dont see the point in a blog with 3 words in it though

7. hiddennovelist

YES! :cool:

How is a thread with three words in it a better alternative? Seems like it would be just as pointless...

8. flipflop

flipflop New Member

I think cognito hit the nail on the head with the "me threads" name. It would be a thread devoted to my progress with one project that i could post links to other threads in. (say a character problem) Which i can post my progress so that others can easily find out where im at and give me personal encouragement to continue. The thing with blogs is when i post to a blog it can get lost and the only people that see it are the ones who regularly check my user page. Blogs are not posted on the new thread page and only five or so blogs are posted at the bottom of the home page. So if 6 people blog after me then its gone. I also think that blogs should be for well written pieces that people have written and people can then comment on. Its just an idea to motivate people with there projects and to enable links to any other threads they may need looking at as well. If there where a section devoted to this i could keep track of freinds projects and regularly add encouragement on a particular project hence the bumping allowed part of this section. Finding threads and blogs that are not current requires a lot of searching but if i could search a particlar section for a freinds name then this would be easier (assuming everyone placed their name and project title as the thread title). Also blogs only tend to be read once. Surely a thread is better suited to this task. The existing thread for this will just become to long to read and old postes will be forgotten.

9. Cogito

Or you could put a link to your blog in your sig.

And by the way:
    [​IMG]

10. flipflop

flipflop New Member

i Dont really see how this would solve the issue of not being in the new posts section
    I'm not sure what you mean by this!

11. hiddennovelist

Cog also hit the nail on the head when he said the forum isn't for "me" threads. Therefore a section full of them doesn't make much sense...

and the no n thing is because his name is Cogito, not CogNito.

12. flipflop

flipflop New Member

Sorry Cogito

13. Cogito

No problem. Happens all the time, which is why I made that little graphic, :)

It's about you, so it should be associated with you, not billboarded in everyone's face. Putting a blog link in your sig calls it out to anyone who wants to follow your progress (or whatever is important for you to share).

14. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Also you said it didn't show up in new threads but It does show up at the bottom and the right of the page as New blogs or recent blogs. more people than what you think checks those. The main point of a blog is to write personal things in it such as your day/writing progress/ anything. Anything to do with you, your ideas and your thoughts. What I'm trying to say is you can post anything About YOU. So to back up what Cogito has said. "The no me thread." It really just wastes space whenever you could just write it in your blog. :)