1. Jookie1107

Jookie1107 New Member

How to appropriately use deus ex machina

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jookie1107, Aug 13, 2018.

How could I effectively present the fact that the character "just knows things" (two critical setting details)?

Context in story: The main character has just died, and she's alone in the afterlife. It's important to the plot that she discovers the name of the land and the fact that the river near her is full of people's hopes and dreams instead of water. Is there a better way to express this than just saying she inexplicably knows or "feels" these things? There's no one else in the story to present this information to her.

2. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

If you actually want her to "just know", then I would do what is referred to as "hanging a lantern on it". This means drawing attention to an inconsistent or unlikely event by having your character notice or comment on it. This tells the reader that you, the writer, are aware that that aspect of the story is inconsistent or unlikely, and that it is that way intentionally. In this particular situation, this would require the character to notice the river, to recognise this feeling she has that the river of one of people's hopes and dreams, and to have a feeling that she knows the name of this place, and to question herself how she knows this. If she knows she is dead, she could perhaps also muse to herself that she has been given this knowledge during her passing to the afterlife, or has acquired abilities to sense these things, whatever. The point is, you're highlighting to the reader, "I know there's no way she could know this, and so does she. But that's how it's supposed to be."

Another approach would be for her to discover this information through some other means. Does she necessarily have to be alone? If not, another character could communicate this information to her. If she does have to be alone, perhaps a vision in which she receives this information, or finding an inscription on a stone.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  3. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Mashers has a good point, but does it have to be 'she just knows these things'? Maybe write a scene where she discovers it instead? Like, something could draw her to the river, and when she touches it, gets a flash of someone's hope or dream. Curious, she does it again, and same thing (but a different person's). And so she realizes what it is/what it can do. Could also discover the name of the land through that, could be in someone's hope/dream.

QueenOfPlants and Alan Aspie like this.
  4. Jookie1107

Jookie1107 New Member

The plot does require her to be completely isolated within the story, but I like both the concept and the term "hanging a lantern on it". I'll definitely be incorporating that. Thank you!

5. Jookie1107

Jookie1107 New Member

MusingWordSmith, I had considered that, as well. Ideally, I had wanted her to "just know" all of it, but by doing it your way, I could just have her name the land herself based off of the river that she found, altogether avoiding any "just knowing." Thank you. :)

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

There's no one in the story, but she had a life before she died. Maybe she had an interest in death and the afterlife (maybe make it a core part of her background, her reaction to losing a parent as a child, or something) and so she knows all sorts of legends about it, and one of them happens to be right.

Alan Aspie likes this.