1. hhhopsi

hhhopsi New Member

Plot Line Help ^^

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by hhhopsi, Nov 21, 2016.

I really need help on my story! It's kind of about mythology and biblical things. It's kind of based off of SPN (I love that show!!) so yeah. ^u^

It is about a kid whose father dies in a car wreck (he was in it, too). Of course, they have to go to the hospital. The main character, I'll call him J, wakes up in the hospital and an unfamiliar man was sitting down on a chair by him. The man tells J that he (not J) is God. God also tells J that he is the Speaker of Gods, kind of like a "vessel" in which all Gods can speak through. He also gets visions of the future- mostly of events leading up to the end. J is considered a "prophet" of sorts as well. He started getting his visions after his mothers' suicide, which took place just a bit after J realized something important- will be explained. This is because his mother was a Speaker as well, but the gods were unable to obtain her because the demons (Lucifer specifically) got to her first. However, J, as a child, always thought that the gods DID obtain her. He never thought it was the demons speaking through her. It made sense because his mother did have sudden personality changes and aggressive behavior. Because of the power given by Lucifer, it would go out of control. She would throw objects around the house when in one of her episodes.

I am currently writing J's bio:

"Because he is the Speaker of the Gods, he has multiple 'identities'. The gods enter him fully (spiritually), allowing him to access all of their memories and secrets. However, if the gods do not want him to be conscious to access them, then the gods shall push his spirit out.

One of his main identities is himself, of course, but if something happens he will switch to his other minor identities, such as Nyx or Deimos." /after his mom's death

I was thinking he could pretty much be a "god database" in which he has access to all of their memories and secrets (as stated in the quotes) once they speak through him.

I also have two other characters, Freya Heilig (a Nephilim) and Dorothy Sato (a false prophet). Freya is a friend of J's- childhood, in fact. J always thought it was weird that his mom (Lucifer, mostly, as he always resided in her body) did not hate Freya. Since J always assumed God was speaking through his mom, he thought God would not like Freya because she was a Nephilim. In fact, J's mom loved Freya. Freya was spoiled by her. That should have been a major red flag for J, but he was so young that he couldn't think otherwise. He thought that maybe God """forgave""" the Nephilim.

Dorothy is a false prophet- everyone believes SHES the prophet, and that Zackery is the liar. Everybody would think that Zackery was crazy because of his dad's death, because he was closest to him. Whenever his mom had her episodes, he would steer clear of her. He still obeyed her and listened to her because of course, he though capital G and minor G's were speaking through her- he certainly did not want to disobey and make them angry.

His mother committed suicide because the demons realized they did not need her anymore- they were right on Zackery. After his mom's death, the demons and gods had to fight each other (possibly a war would happen) to obtain Zackery. The gods do not want the demons to obtain him.

I'm honestly just playing around with this idea, nothing is official yet. I really need events that should happen. ^^ I'd appreciate if you can leave an idea on what should happen! I'm also not sure when Freya or Dorothy should come in.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi there, and welcome to the forum! I see you are only 12 years old. That is amazing. I'm very impressed already.

There are probably lots of members who will nip in here with specific suggestions along the lines you have asked for. However, I'm of the old school that believes story problems, such as 'what events should happen?' is what writers need to work out for themselves. It's not going to be your story if lots of other people chip in, saying this should happen or that should happen. One of the best things about writing fiction is that you have TOTAL control over your story. Anything you want to happen can happen. Isn't that great? YOU are god here!

Maybe do a few exercises that involve asking yourself 'what if.' What if Freya did this? What if Dorothy does that? What if Zackery breaks his leg? (Silly notion, I know!) Try to get beyond the obvious. Or, to put it a bit differently, push your ideas to their maximum end. Don't say 'what if Zackery breaks his leg,' and just put in hospital for a few weeks. Say 'what if Zackery breaks his leg while he's out walking on a remote hill, and the only person who finds him is Dorothy?' What if Dorothy tries to help him? What would she do? Would this change Zackery's view of her? Would he feel angry to be rescued by somebody who doesn't like him? Would he change his opinion of her? Has she got an ulterior motive? Does she want him to be in her debt? Would she take advantage of him, or try to kill him?'

Of course I don't want answers to these questions, and I realise these questions aren't relevant to your particular story. I'm just trying to suggest a process of getting your story going. Push ideas around, turn them on their heads. Take nothing for granted. If you've seen something done before, don't copy it. Turn it upside down. What if.... Throw random characters or events into the mix until one or two of them hit the mark. Nothing is set in stone. You can change ANYTHING that doesn't work.

I would also advise—if you're not already doing it—to stop planning your story in detail and actually get writing it. It's amazing how ideas pop into your head when you're actually writing. When you actually see what your characters say and do, this opens up all kinds of possibilities (and shows up plot holes as well.)

I'd be cautious about getting members involved in creating your story, though. That takes away one of the chief pleasures of writing, and becomes a crutch you will need to throw away at some point. You've obviously got a great imagination. You know you can think up events for yourself!

Once you've actually written something, you can put it in our Workshop (after you've fulfilled the requirements for a new member posting their work) and see how it floats.

Meantime, have a look in the Workshop and see what other people have been writing, and offer your opinion of any writing that interests you, in the form of a critique. That will boost your forum credentials and help fulfill some of the requirements—and it's a great way to get to know people on the forum. I think you'll find we have several members who are young and are still at school, and who write stories similar to yours. I think you'll make good friends here. You seem to have an excellent attitude. :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  3. hhhopsi

hhhopsi New Member

Thank you! Haha a lot of people say that! ^^ Thing is, I have a very hard time coming up with details. I'm too much of a perfectionist, tbh. <.< I HAVE to ask other people for help, because once I use all of my "writers' juice" I don't get it back in like... a year or so. <.>

I'm also not one for exercises, but if I get SUPER desperate, then of course I'll do that!

I have a hard time writing it until I have EVERYTHING set in stone, tbh. <.< This is a weakness I hope to get rid of in the future.

jannert likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, I'd advocate trying to get rid of it now. No time like the present. The worst that will happen is you will need to go back and change things, which you will need to do anyway. The best is that you might discover things about your story that you hadn't thought of.

I've also read statements from people who, like yourself, plan things down to the last detail, and then when they go to write their story find it dull ...because there are no surprises. There is a really grave danger that you may never STOP planning as well. I really do advocate that you start somewhere, actually writing.

It doesn't have to be at the beginning. Why not start by writing your 'favourite scene,' and making it come to life? Pretend you're telling this story to a good friend. How would you get them interested and keep them interested? Just reciting your character bios won't be enough. Make something happen, even if it's trivial. Think of what makes stories you read exciting for you. It's not going to be a list of characteristics and a quick leap from plot point to plot point. Don't be afraid to take your time, and 'live' that story as you write it.

Remember, NOTHING IS SET IN STONE until you actually get published. So don't be afraid to make mistakes, take wrong turns, write stuff you later decide you don't need or want. Working on a computer means you don't need to be all that careful, because any mistake can be corrected, and anything you 'throw away' can be saved.

I'd say pick your favourite scene and write it. Don't worry about what comes before or afterwards. Just write it as you see it now. That will spur you to write other scenes, and pretty soon you've got yourself a story when you hook the scenes together.

All you really need is a starting situation, a few characters, and maybe (or maybe not) a notion of where it's all going to end. From what you've written in your original post, you've got plenty to start with. Why not write that scene where "J" wakes up in hospital with that man sitting beside his bed? Write that scene all the way through, and see what you end up with. What's the harm?

I suspect that one of the reasons you struggle to come up with ideas is because you're only working with ideas. There isn't any life in them yet, and they're just a brain exercise ...even though you say you don't do exercises. These people need to become 'real' in your own mind and heart. Get to know them, and you'll figure out what to do with them. That will happen when you actually start writing.

Above all else ...have fun! I've always said that writing is the most fun I've ever had sitting down. I didn't start writing seriously until I got my first computer, back in 1994. It made writing so much easier than with pen and paper or a typewriter. I made lots of mistakes, but I could get rid of them really easily, so it made me less afraid to try things out. When I started out, I just had a setting (an isolated ranch in 1880s Montana), a couple of characters (a brother and sister in their early twenties) plus one stranger (a young man about the same age who came to them in deep trouble) a heavy snowstorm that kept them all together for a while ...and I now have a completed novel. And yes, lots has changed, including the beginning. But that's how I started.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  5. TheWriteWitch

TheWriteWitch Active Member

Interesting idea and I couldn't help but play around with it a bit. This is all just brainstorming on your behalf, so grab what you like and forget the rest:

I would assume that J had to be brought to the threshold of death before God could speak to him. That means that in order to get to J before the demons, God had to injure J and sacrifice J's father in the car crash. This realization could be the main turning point for J. Will he continue to work for God or will Lucifer's offers have great appeal?

Dorothy does the right things for the wrong reasons, and she steals credit from J/Zackery whenever she can. He generally likes having the attention taken off him, so they become unlikely friends.

Freya does the wrong things for the right reasons. Her Nephilim heritage taught her a different set of rules. She wants to protect J/Zackery, but also free him from what she views as a curse. J/Zackery can't decide if it's a curse or a miraculous power (which should be the subject of multiple scenes in which various gods help him - does he do good or are there too many sacrifices?).

J/Zackery has to decide what to do with his power, most importantly, whether or not he should leave his decisions up to the gods or make them for himself.

Good luck building up your plot - such a fun stage. Just don't tinker too long or you'll lose sight of the first flashes that attracted you to this idea in the first place!

6. hhhopsi

hhhopsi New Member

Thanks for the ideas! They actually helped me a little bit in deciding the plotline!