1. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

If Your Character Were to Die, What Would the World Say About Them?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by LastMindToSanity, Aug 4, 2019.

The premise is simple. If your character were to die, what would the world say about them? Would they be praised? Ridiculed? Mocked? Maybe they were hated. Maybe they were loved. Maybe, to the rest of the world, they didn't even exist.

What impression would your character leave behind? What would be there legacy? Who have they helped, or perhaps hurt?

So, if only for a moment, kill your character and share what the world has to say about them after they're already gone.

The Bishop and KesterDraconis like this.
  2. disasterspark

disasterspark Active Member

My MC is an outlaw, leading a team and trying to escape a bad country.

He would be hated, ridiculed, mocked, all of that by most of the population under government control. Because they are taught to do so thanks to government propaganda. But to other outlaws, he would be seen as a hero. A man who fought to the end for his people. A man to look up to and aspire to be. For in death, he is forever immune to the government converting him to their side.

I fully agree with the statement in the movie The Dark Knight that you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. But in this case, he died both a hero and villain.

Some Guy and LastMindToSanity like this.
  3. Gallogladh

Gallogladh Member

There isn't much of a legacy for losers of a war of extermination. My main character is a villain who didn't live long enough to see himself become the hero: his failed redemption started late and ran out of room. But his enemies were worse, and they won.

4. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

"She did say she was ill."
    "I know, but who's the world going to revolve around now?"

5. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

In heaven:
    "God-dammit, Michael! Now we gotta find another one!"

In Hell:
    "Dammit, Jessie! Where am I gonna find another misincarnated salamander?"

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

The world wouldn't notice. But the people who loved him would be devastated.

7. KesterDraconis

KesterDraconis New Member

A small village would be sad, having lost their new found protector. They'd say he was a good man, that gave too much in their service. He'd probably become a part of their folk tales as the centuries go on. Another character would most likely feel responsible, and continue their quest for vengeance without him. A daughter would be without a father, and with what memories she has of him she would say that he was the most warm and gentle person on earth (ignorant of his warrior side). An order of paladins and knights in a neighboring land would eventually learn of his death, and lament the passing of a brother who had left them. They would say he was the most self critical of them all, and an honorable warrior despite his opinions of himself.

The rest of the world would not know anything of his passing to speak of.

8. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

"Poor thing."
    "Mm-hmm."
    "So how deep do you think we'll have to dig the grave to not have to smell her anymore?"
    "I don't know, but like really deep."
    "Mm-hmm."
    "Yep."

9. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

"Good riddance" for Moon, MC of my supernatural series. He's a professional liar, though, if he tells you so, does that mean that too is a lie?

"Hahahahaha" for Daniel Dickbite form my comedic post-apocalyptic story I write for fun and practice. Daniels dad was an asshole merc with a sense of humor, hence his name.

"Who?" for Koa, an unknown civilian from my Sci-fi story. Though, the few he's close with would be hurt.

10. Dorafjol

Dorafjol Member

MC in my first serious attempt at a story.

"She just had to die in the most spectacular fashion too. Fucking showoff..."

"That new girl of Paddock's? Only saw her once, but I'll tell you as much: She was not a beauty that one. Anyway, how's work? Any news o' them wierd aliens?"

"I'll avenge you girl! As soon as this hangover lets go of me... Oh why?! I told you to stay clear of the action..."
    "Your exact words, if I recall correctly were 'Fuck them up! Yeah! Don't let tem get away!"
    "Well. She was so invested for once. She seemed almost happy! Shame..."
    "Yeah... Shame..."
    Toasting of hard liquor round two intensifies

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    "He was a mean stubborn son-of-a bitch, but I'd be damned to get
    caught in a fight with him leading the charge. Even though he was
    more than a little rough around the edges, Marckus would do everything
    to not leave a man behind."

"Uh, Cor, I think you will be giving all our eulogies, cause you're gonna
    outlive all of us. Just don't scare the shit out of the new recruits. Partly
    messing, you are always the prettiest thing the wounded see. They know
    their odds of getting out alive and patched up until their injury can be
    addressed properly. Sure saved our asses at one point or another."

"Graxis was the best man, mate, and soldier. Better to be on his side,
    since we all know none wanted to face his twin swords when he went
    into a rage. We can all agree he kept his head, and fulfilled his duty
    with discipline, honor, and always ready to offer some words of wisdom."

(Alcohol of varying percentages will be consumed en mass in all accounts). :p

12. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Mat, loved by mother Barbara, no flowers. Donations: Obscure Genital Canker Trust c/o Doris Homeopath.

13. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Fixed this.

14. Zombie Among Us

Zombie Among Us Active Member

Their friends would be devastated. Not only was their best warrior gone, but they had lost a true friend. Their enemies would rejoice. The greatest threat they'd ever seen had been neutralized. Thing is, they had never seen the power of vengeance fueled by grief.

Alex simply stood there. His mind was racing too fast for the words to leave his mouth.

"Do you think they're happier now?" Daisy asked the mourning lover.

"No." He said after some thought. "Today was the first time I've ever seen them fear for their life. They were always either the one holding the gun, or they were smirking as the barrel was pointed at them. They knew they would win. They always had something good to fight for. Their enemies fought to exterminate the human race, they fought for us."

Chuck sighed. "We aren't worth dying for."

Alex wiped his tears and grabbed the gun from his belt. "Jackie deserved to live, they don't."

15. The Bishop

The Bishop Senior Member

I have three characters, two of whom die. The first is the Captain of a militant company. After his death, he is mocked and joked about, seen as pathetic in the eyes of half the country, and the second character.

The second character dies young and is a wild, psychotic sociopath in his short life. After his death, he is ignored by most but made into a cautionary tale for others. His life was seen as tragic and upsetting. No one misses him, but they frown at his death.

The last character sees the first character's death as a win for him, but still unfortunate. He sees the second character's death as an absolute win and couldn't be more pleased with the fact.

Dorafjol, Some Guy, matwoolf and 3 others like this.
  16. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

The world would say, "who?"

My other main characters would probably say, "it was only a matter of time before that buffoon got himself killed," "he had a kind heart," and, "err . . . metalloids no die," respectively.

LastMindToSanity likes this.
  17. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Considering the main character of my last trilogy of books did die, I already know. He died to save two worlds and billions of people.

18. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

If Henry were to die, honestly most people wouldn't care. Her family and friends would be heartbroken, but outside of that there'd probably be more relief than anything else. She's widely seen as a buffoon and an all around failure, so once she died (whether in the line of duty or accidentally putting herself through the garbage disposal) they'd be able to choose someone better to replace her and the whole community would breathe a sigh of relief.

LastMindToSanity and Some Guy like this.
  19. SpokenSilence

SpokenSilence Member

Well...
    one of of the two main characters of my fantasy story basically dies in the end - and the world makes it a holiday because they're relieved he's dead (They don't know what he does for them, they simply misjudge him throughout the whole story...)

20. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Wow, I won't get away without dealing with this one!
    Imagine the relief of retiring from a hated career of bureaucracy (regardless of the status you've won) - only to have the Presidency thrust upon you. Billions lay dead in a devastated world, with a hundred million more dying. There's nothing you can do except save what's left of the Fortunate Mangled - by deciding who lives and who dies, in the tens of thousands. It costs fifty thousand lives to save seventy thousand, yet his courageous decisions prevent all 120 thousand from perishing by 'no action'.
    He labels himself Tyrant in protest, and is hailed by the world as savior, to his disgust. His dearest wish, his only wish, is for death. It will not be granted.
    Imagine living beyond your years, preserved against your will, driven by your sense of duty for humanity. All those you know pass with the generations, but you are known by all, seen by all, indefinitely.
    The final day will be the best day of his life. He will do whatever it takes to bring that day.

Dorafjol and LastMindToSanity like this.
  21. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

"Too young, too soon, too much music he'll never get to compose. He would have been one of the greats."

22. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

I'm currently working on a fantasy story, and have four main characters. One is a failed magic student who had a ton of potential, but got kicked out of the academy after ignoring the rules too much. Her parents would be disappointed if she died, but they are disappointed in her anyway, so not much difference.

The second is a travelling merchant, inspired by Tessa from Octopath Traveler, for those of you who has played this wonderful game. She intends to take over the family's shop one day, but she first has to travel around the world and get to know how things work, build a network of her own, make a reputation of herself, and all that. But at this point in the story, she's a nobody. If she dies, no one would care. Or notice.

Third one is a gladiator. At this point in the story, she might be dead already. Take a gladiator arena, throw in a huge monster, and let her fight it until death do they part. She was injured already before the battle began, but refuse to give up. As the battle drags out, she's struggling more and more to even stay conscious, but surrender is not an option. Of course she wins in the end, but if she dies in the arena, she will be celebrated as a hero. Not a "save the world" hero, but more a badass gladiator hero with tons of fans. She'll even be rewarded with a statue in the gardens outside, so her legacy lives forever.

The final one is a pirate, about to walk the plank. 'nough said. :D (spoiler alert: Of course she survives, but that's not the point. If she dies right here and now... well, that's the crew's intentions.) :rolleyes:

23. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Daniel -> 'The world': Nothing. The few who know: "Well done."
    Kay -> 'The world': "Well done". The few who know: Nothing.

LastMindToSanity and Some Guy like this.