How to avoid white washing if my MC's caucasian martial artist?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheMyst7885, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheMyst7885

TheMyst7885 Active Member

I'm sorry I know it sounds too alike :(

But the bad guy I'm trying to base on this real life bad instructor who tought martial arts but was also a military guy similar to John kreese and the MC would have been abused by him and mistreated and deceived just like how Johnny Lawrence was.

2. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Banned

No op, this isn't white washing.

White washing would be like if there was a remake of The Five Venoms, but all the five masters were white actors playing Asian characters.

While movies like The Last Samurai could be considered white washing, it might not fit the technical defintion, because the character Tom Cruise played isn't a real person and is only loosely based on a real person, at best.

And, actually, Brazilian Jiujitsu was created as a way for people to defend themselves in real life combat situations, though I don't know if I'd call it "street fighting."

It was made to let smaller, weaker opponents defend themselves against bigger, stronger attackers. So AModernHeathen is actually right. I am a certified Gracie Jiujitsu instructor with a 7th degree black belt (the black belts you see with red stripes or sections on them). I've known several memebers of the Gracie family in my life and have learned a lot from them.

Keep in mind too that bjj also dominated in competitions pretty much since its inception. There are tons of hilarious videos online of so-called karate masters being completely dominated by bjj practitioners.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

For anyone watching - our friend above was 'a modern heathen' with a duplicate account, which is why both of them are with us no longer.

4. TheMyst7885

TheMyst7885 Active Member

So now I completely understand what white washing means now. It's not about creating a brand new story that features a protagonist who happens to know Asian marital arts and happens to be white, but more about throwing in a white character in say a non white historical setting and making them the savior or say if they remade Mulan and made her white instead.

Thanks everyone!